Pattern Bar Slices

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

S.TImmerman

Pattern Bar Slices

Post by S.TImmerman »

I've made a bunch of pattern bars and cut them into 1/4 inch slices. Some are a bit thicker and a few are thinner. What should I do to these before I use them as elements in larger pieces to make bowls , plates ect. Should i use my lap? To what finish? Or, do i sand blast them? Also, do they need to be the exact same thickness as a strips (if that's what I'm adding them too) or other elements in the design? Thank you very much, as always
Shereen
Laurie Spray

Re: Pattern Bar Slices

Post by Laurie Spray »

if you have a sandblaster that is the way to go.......we do not so we use our flat lap to clean all the surfaces. as far as thickness.....if you are doing a piece where you want clean geometric lines all the same thickness would be best. If it is not then they will be fine if there are differences....
does that make sense....I need more coffee!
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

Thank you Laura,

yes, i have a blasting unit - i really appreciate your help!

ST
twin vision glass

Post by twin vision glass »

Hi! the only parts of the slices that I grind are the parts that have touched the mold or kiln shelf. UNLESS you have used fiber then make sure you grind off all the particles that could make for a scummy join. the glass will not flow as nicely if you have particles exposed. I tooo think the pieces should be as close to the same size or thickness if you are doing geometric but if it is abstract, there are soooo many ways to join or create. :D Experiment and have fun with it by adding frit in different sizes and joining with strips that are higher and use clear capping. It is all a journey to your desired end . Have fun.
Les
phpwHQM0tPM.jpg
phpsGEZINPM.jpg
Give out Free Hugs!