First Gallery Opening

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Risa

First Gallery Opening

Post by Risa »

Moved my studio to a building that houses about 100 artists and has quarterly "art walks". Tomorrow is the first time I'm offering glass pieces for sale.
I've cleaned up and set the display space and lighting. Got my square ready, along with the requisite wine and snacks.

Any last minute advise you'd like to share?
Barry Kaiser

Re: First Gallery Opening

Post by Barry Kaiser »

yes Risa,
Relax and enjoy it.
Also go to bbakerinc.com and buy his booth design and Sales CDs. You don't need the jury CD for your situation.

Bruce Baker is the king of common sense when it comes to selling arts and crafts.

Barry
dawnsud

Post by dawnsud »

Remember, YOU are part of the entertainment. The customers want to hear your story, learn about your art. Let them lead you and you'll find out if they are interested in talking. Too many artists hide from the customer. Just enjoy them and you'll enjoy yourself.
Take care.
Dawn
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Comfortable shoes. Don't forget to eat prior to the start. Check your teeth. Have mints handy. See if you can enlist a helper. Make sure you remember your Square password. Hit the restroom before the customers arrive. SMILE!
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Raise your prices to that which you cannot afford. If you can afford your own work it is too low priced.
Risa

Post by Risa »

Thank you for all the wise words. While i have sold for many years, my being part of the show is a new experience that takes some getting used to.
Fortunately I had lots of help and a whole bunch of my friends came. Sold a few pieces, learned a lot and will be much more relaxed for the next one in December.
I have an even deeper appreciation and admiration for those of you who are able to make a full time living as artists. It is a tough job, tougher than I imagined and you deserve a whole new level of respect for merely trying, let alone for making it.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Risa- it helps to have a supportive spouse, or a trust fund. Very few of us are "making a living" off our art these days.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Well then, we should probably listen to the few that do, like Doug Randall and Kevin Midgley.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Me too very soon also. I'm going with the advise from Dawn about letting the night lead you, but that hasn't stopped me thinking about how I can show respect to the material by showing no respect through handling a piece of my artwork. While talking about how good you feel during the process of creating something without the effort of aiming at a target except to be very bloody good.
If we let ourselves do it, it would be enough to night cap an end of a journey. Mine has been a long ten years plus, I like what I do and will show it whether like it or not.Good lucxk with it. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!