best result, flat glass or frits

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Beau Lyons

best result, flat glass or frits

Post by Beau Lyons »

I plan to make solid curved pieces of fused glass which are epoxyed on to a backing after firing.
To get a transparent look should I cut pieces out of solid glass and layer or produce a mold and use course frit prior to firing.
The reason I am asking is, if I am going to cut and layer curved pieces I will need to buy a Taurus 3 ring saw?
Don Burt

Re: best result, flat glass or frits

Post by Don Burt »

I'm reading your question as whether to choose sheet glass or frit, based on how transparent the result will be. You can retain pretty high transparency with either fused sheet or frit. Probably greater transparency with sheet, if you're good at managing bubbles. I'd have lots of other reasons as to why to choose between sheet and frit other than one choice's superior transparency. If the choice mandated buying a noisy aggravating saw, I'd go with the frit. Why does the layering of sheet glass mandate using a saw? are your 'curves' pretty severe?