Kiln is dropping crap onto my glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

PattyLewis

Kiln is dropping crap onto my glass

Post by PattyLewis »

I have an Evenheat kiln that is about 6 years old. It has started dropping kiln material onto my glass, while it is still hot enough that the stuff sticks to the glass and ruins it. I have vacuumed it. What else should I be doing?
dawnsud

Re: Kiln is dropping crap onto my glass

Post by dawnsud »

I had the same problem with my Evenheat. I found that part of the problem was the crumbling edges around the elements and part was the crumbling around the lip on the sides of the kiln and by the hinges. I first used my blow dryer to blow off the crumbs, then vacuumed, then used refractory cement to paint edges that were crumbling. It improved. I haven't had time to call Evenheat. They might have some suggestions. It is so frustrating to have a perfect piece except for little crumbs of white kiln brick!
Take care.
Dawn
Marty

Post by Marty »

They'll probably tell you you need a new lid.
Don't!
Save your $$ and buy something better.
dawnsud

Post by dawnsud »

Good point, Marty. I haven't used my Evenheat much lately. But when I get back to fusing, I will know how long this fix works.
Take care.
Dawn
PattyLewis

Post by PattyLewis »

Thanks for the info, Dawn. I went to the ceramics store today and got repair cement, will be trying it ASAP. I'll let you know how it does.

Patty
PattyLewis

Post by PattyLewis »

I got some kiln cement and after I brought it home I called Evenheat. The woman who answered the phone told me to clean the coils by vacuuming well. She said not to get any kiln cement on the coils because they would then break, which made me nervous to put it close to the coil, for fear of getting it on them. I ended up putting kiln cement on the broad parts of the lid, away from the coils, letting it dry, vacuuming again. I've fired a couple times since and so far don't see any more debris on my glass.