Crazy Question, Dop Wax

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

S.TImmerman

Crazy Question, Dop Wax

Post by S.TImmerman »

My dutch relatives are fine jewelers in holland and use DOP wax now and then with non precious gems. I'm working on large "cabs" from pattern bars and wondered if anyone has tried using DOP WAX for beveling fused glass though the different grades of disks. I want to bevel the glass on the all sides and then attach wine stoppers. Ive never heard of this- has anyone tried it? To speed up this job (40 stoppers) I want to use my wonderful lap grinder - I also have a Belt sander that Ive just aquired, would that be better? Gosh, i wish i could take some classes!

IK waardeer ten zeerste!
Shereen
Don Burt

Re: Crazy Question, Dop Wax

Post by Don Burt »

I have dop wax, and a lapidary machine. I experimented with it. I could see it if I was making something precious and small, but for glass, life is too short. It certainly will work as advertised. Serveral you-tube videos out there on how to prepare a gem on a dop stick. That alone led me to believe that polishing little pieces of glass is better spent out of other's time than mine. Latest thing I'm wasting time on now is using flintknapping techniches for making stained glass jewels. Fascinating process. I've been on the Flintknapper's bulletin boards asking newbie questions, made myself a couple copper tools. I'm going all paleolithic here. Until I decide its not worth the trouble. Probably tomorrow.