Effetre 104coe Bullseye 90 coe rods

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

lorwolff

Effetre 104coe Bullseye 90 coe rods

Post by lorwolff »

I have been using Bullseye glass for beads recently. I wanted to combine some torchwork items with fused Bullseye pieces.
I was not diligent enough in keeping BE and Effetre rods completely separate.

I recently have some beads that cracked, and when trying to figure out which rod was the culprit, I think the Effetre rods are a bit larger. The Bullseye seems to be thinner.

Can anyone share their opinion please?
(But be gentle, I know I screwed up..., again)
I know I can always test for compatibility.
Morganica

Re: Effetre 104coe Bullseye 90 coe rods

Post by Morganica »

Yeah, I've done that. A friend gave me a bunch of old Bullseye rod and I picked out a couple of really stunning golden ones to use in a tackfuse. I especially liked them because they were slimmer than usual so they fit in the space. Every one of them cracked out of the piece within a couple of days of coming out of the kiln. It's one of the reasons why I don't mix glass compatibilities unless the shape (like billets) is so different you can't possibly mistake one for the other.

So I think the Effetre is slimmer than the Bullseye, but I'm sorry to say the test thing rears its ugly head. I don't envy you...at least it'll be pretty obvious.

One other thought: Torchworked rods can be kinda wacky on compatibility, especially if there's an overheated red/orange/gold in there.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Jeanne

Re: Effetre 104coe Bullseye 90 coe rods

Post by Jeanne »

I only have Coe 104 Rods. Most of them are Moretti. They generally run 1/4" in diameter, though a few are only 1/8" (the pinks and dense black) that I have.