Getting help.

This forum focuses on the artistic "why" and "what" more than the technical "how". Put more philosophical (but still art and glass related) posts here.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Haydo

Getting help.

Post by Haydo »

Reason to madness. I love creating with glass and metal and am excited about finalising my journey with glass to date with upcoming exhibition but funnily enough equally excited about my opportunity to take part in an abstract painting course with Ben Stack the day after opening and the next. Macbeth maybe, my wife seems to be steering me towards these things. This will be the second workshop in a matter of months.
Will be interesting how I can use what I learn from this to evolve my methods dealing with bilums and coccoons. Had so much fun during my life drawing class making the easle rattle while banging away with what ever I had in my hand. Trying to get loose. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Sheryl

Re: Getting help.

Post by Sheryl »

I've been taking some pastel classes and for me I find it better than meditation. I start something and then look up and a couple of hours have passed.
Sheryl
Studiodunn

Post by Studiodunn »

Sounds like you are heading in exciting directions! Congratulations on the upcoming exhibition, Haydo. Wish I could attend! Really...

I just signed up for a Drawing class at a local art studio and had our first session yesterday. I'm in there with a bunch of teenagers, but that doesn't bother me in the least. I feel like I'm in the "teenage" stages of my own artistic development. It's funny how when the class was "supposed" to end, we were all so focused we could just keep going...
“I would rather die than hate you.”
- Martin Luther King
peter cummings

Post by peter cummings »

Good for you Haydo. Enjoy the exhibition , you've worked hard for it. A good chance you'll love the abstract painting too, depends on the teacher.

Abstract or any drawing class has a lot of value. I've just finished another painting, 5 now, all different styles, and I'm busting with excitment. Doing a short print workshop saturday, 'cause I want to print from glass plates and lots of folk told me it can't be done. Red rag to a bull.

Peter.
Brock

Post by Brock »

Lots of folk are dead wrong. They've been teaching glass print making at Pilchuck for ages.
I did it there at least 15 years go . . .
Studiodunn

Post by Studiodunn »

Regarding glass plates, I enjoy clicking around on this website and imagining the possibilities : http://www.littletoncollection.com/Vitr ... cesses.htm Lots of great information, I'm sure you have probably seen before Peter, but I thought I would share it for those who may not have been aware of it.
- Martin Luther King
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

At first spare moment to think about attending this workshop I was thinking what am I doing to myself thinking that I can waltz into a workshop attended by experienced painters in abstract. Did a bit of google to actually see what had been done. Seems first two canvases I will do come directly inspired by very small works that I've done in glass previously, one of which goes way back. Thank you for kind words and encouragement. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
peter cummings

Post by peter cummings »

I've had a copy from the littletoncollection with me and a hand pressed print I made but the relevant experts never had the time to look. DUH.. Went back, thanks for the link again and it was different so I've both copies, another example and more receptive printmakers to talk to at last.

Haydo I never thought I could approach abstract, I've never used that way in my glass, as I've always been about the image, representative, not so much the making of the glass. Read up a lot, music helped, and went for it. Really surprised myself.http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8187/8113 ... 29ac_m.jpg It's quick so I hope to see a pic. soon.

Peter.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

I'm finding second winds just when I need them at the moment, it is full on. Here is the bit of media I finally managed to get, I think the video was cut when I thought I'd mention in a round about way,'are we there yet', though I look tense I found that it broke up the day as it was my first full day in the shop getting ready and still hadn't found my stride. Plenty of deep long slow left nostril breathing. The WBS idler pulley packed it in at the very next round, new bearing and OP rum can material to pack and it is all good to finish jobs.
What I'm trying to get at is the fact that it is worth the journey. If you want to get an insight at what is behind a bold typer have a look at this scardy cat . peace, haydo

http://www.dailymercury.com.au/news/tra ... t/1590515/
peter cummings

Post by peter cummings »

Wish I could get there.
Take lots of pic's and enjoy.
Peter.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Well, what a week it has been. I'm happy enough to move on from this in a positive way. RSVP's came in but only half showed, friend at the bar did a head count to sixty at peak. Have managed to reconnect with fellow artists again after attending Ben Stack's abstract painting workshop. He has really encouraged the group to push the techniques he shared with us and not to get too excited about some waste. The venue for workshop is a heritage listed building at the old wharves on the Pioneer River near the CBD. They offer what is called a box lot to rent where you can sell items from in their gallery at around $180 a month, just got to produce stuff now to a higher standard to ensure sales. Will endevour to be involved there as much as I can. Some of the most interesting people met there was a Palestinian artist/civil engineer who was so excited to have just been made an aussie, older knock about harley man and a dread locked skater.
Hope the shabby images in the album below will do, my eldest who is now back from Central America is starting to construct a website for me to use as I get ready to attack pendants, bubble blocks and slabs along with paintings that meet the mark.
Felt fairly humbled that family members came from all over to attend, Perth, Adelaide and Stawell near Melbourne. So now it is up to me to see if I really do understand the medium of choice. peace, haydo

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... nt_count=4
peter cummings

Post by peter cummings »

Very well done.
I like the setting a lot myself, I'm still having trouble with the elitist institutions, and I think the materials in the m b shop relate well.
The steel mounted I find the most interesting, but that maybe a hangup against the aussie "branding.
Hope you do well with the "business" side because there's a lot of interesting" art work coming out of your head and shed.
Peter.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Thanks Peter, I'm moving away from complicated metal when it comes to glass except for the odd branch or two and S/S bails. Panels will have to become self supporting or wall mounted. You'll have to find yourself something like what is happening at Paxton's Wharf here in Mackay. I've put myself out there and have had the nudge or two from wifey or is it wife-o, this little adventure has almost knocked the ocker out of me. Just need time to settle and clear my mind before I make any rash decisions or make close family members worry about me going walkabout. We actually had a family reunion at the bowling green club where it all started for me. Chapter closed, a bit messy but that's the way it goes sometimes. peace, haydo
Faye Malench

Post by Faye Malench »

Very best of luck to you in your adventure, Haydo. Look forward to your new work and showing it on your new website. The interview was enjoyable - nice putting a face to a name.
Studiodunn

Post by Studiodunn »

Thank you for posting links...Congrats! It was cool seeing the video as well as the images you posted on Facebook. Glad to hear it went well and you are gearing up for new and exciting directions with your work! Yes, please post a link to that website once it's up and running! Mine is woefully neglected at the moment...lol
- Martin Luther King
Babette (Shawn)

Post by Babette (Shawn) »

Great work John! I really like what you are doing with your glass and your metal work. I hope someday soon you can quit the day job. It's inspiring to see a fellow artist putting himself out there. =D>
“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.”
― Pablo Picasso
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Thanks all for encouraging words. Things have wound down finally but will be keen to reorganise workshop space and start back on the pendants after a day trip out to the reef tomorrow. Have already set up a decent space for painting in our recreation room downstairs which is adjacent to workshop, my wife was worried that I'd already lost focus. peace, haydo