Fire pit glass?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Dianne Van de Carr

Fire pit glass?

Post by Dianne Van de Carr »

Is it possible to use broken fusible shards of glass in a fire pit?
Dianne
rosanna gusler

Re: Fire pit glass?

Post by rosanna gusler »

yep. glass is glass. rosanna
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

I have done it and it works fine, I am assuming you are talking about a gas fire pit. I usually bring the up glass to a full fuse first to round up the edges so you don't cut yourself every time you have to clean it.
Bob
Judd

Post by Judd »

Dianne, like how? A wood fired down daft barrel or a fire pit for pottery? If you mean that, then that's usually a very low temp - like 1000 F to 1200 F, which is too low temp for glass fusing.
Dianne Van de Carr

Post by Dianne Van de Carr »

The fire pit is propane fired and huge. 2 x 6 feet burner. After it was built my friend calculated how much glass would be needed. He thinks about 250 pounds. I suggested contacting a Shower Door replacement company for tempered glass. Then as we brainstormed, I got the idea of using my scrap glass for a decorative element.

Thanks for all your replies,
Dianne
Judd

Post by Judd »

Dianne,
You're fusing? You're not mixing different glasses from different companies, are you? If the glass is all the same COE, from the same company, you will have better results. If it's a mixture of glasses from different companies - you're probably screwed. We usually use electric, computerized kilns because you don't have to babysit you kiln. People do use gas kilns, but it sounds like too much work for me.
David Jenkins

Post by David Jenkins »

[Ooops! Meant to direct to @Judd. :oops: ]

I think she's talking about an outdoor fire pit (aka "outdoor fireplace") that uses propane as fuel, rather than wood. Such pits are frequently populated with lava rock which is then often topped off with [expensive] decorative glass beads.
Last edited by David Jenkins on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
Judd

Post by Judd »

A decorative element! OH! Not actual glass work. Check!
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Sure...although they're liable to look like jagged fusing glass scrap if you pour them straight into the pit. If you fire them hot first, they'll round up and look more like the stuff you buy.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)