setting up for large production

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

imraslan

setting up for large production

Post by imraslan »

I do small pieces such as perfume tops (covers) in different shapes and sizes and use crushed glass in molds (i prepare from plaster) to do them. The crushing/heating/ polishing and grinding is all done by hand, I want to set up an operation to do mass production ( more than 2000 pieces/month ) The pieces are small (7 cm by 7 cm) therefore I would like to set up my operations for large production, I am wondering how to do that in terms of equipments/people while keeping a good margin. If anyone has experience with mass production I would really appreciate it.
Judd

Re: setting up for large production

Post by Judd »

Those of us who do production work learned by trial and error. Since I'm not familiar with your set-up, I'm not sure what productive advice I can give. If you plan on using recycled glass as you indicated in your other post, I'd find large supplies of glass that are the same COE (like one enormous window that will certainly have the same COE). Doing individual perfume bottles sounds like a time-killer.
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

imraslan wrote:I do small pieces such as perfume tops (covers) in different shapes and sizes and use crushed glass in molds (i prepare from plaster) to do them. The crushing/heating/ polishing and grinding is all done by hand, I want to set up an operation to do mass production ( more than 2000 pieces/month ) The pieces are small (7 cm by 7 cm) therefore I would like to set up my operations for large production, I am wondering how to do that in terms of equipments/people while keeping a good margin. If anyone has experience with mass production I would really appreciate it.
For extra people...use a temp agency. You'll save money going that route.
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

each item has it's unique properties that requires different equipment and facilities.not being able to see the exact items you are talking about makes it a little difficult to make many suggestions. I've done mass production of many different things and they all require a production unique to that item or related items or somtimes it's advantageous to find people to work on a "piece work" basis then you have a good idea of your raw labor costs.