Glue for jewellery-making

Post here with questions and topics relating to making glass jewelry.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Gwen Fletcher

Glue for jewellery-making

Post by Gwen Fletcher »

I am still looking for the perfect glue for attaching glass to both metal and wood. I live in England so would prefer to use suppliers in the UK. Is E6000 well thought of. Has anyone the definitive answer? Gwen
AndyT

Re: Glue for jewellery-making

Post by AndyT »

Gwen Fletcher wrote:I am still looking for the perfect glue for attaching glass to both metal and wood. I live in England so would prefer to use suppliers in the UK. Is E6000 well thought of. Has anyone the definitive answer? Gwen
I use E6000 for all my jewelry and have never had a problem.
Risa

Post by Risa »

Based on other recommendations on this board, that's what I've been using, too. No problems so far (except it does stick to my nails!)
Drewcilla

Post by Drewcilla »

I, too, use E6000. I've never cared for the odor so tried other products until one odorless one put me in the hospital for two days. Just remember to rough up the surface, not use too much, and let it rest for a minimum of 24 hours. After about a week, I can no longer detect the odor. Barry Kaiser has a tutorial on using it (kaiserglass.com).
GlassCat

Post by GlassCat »

I have gone back to using E6000. Had strayed away and was using Tryolese (which I loved ) until I broke out in a rash and had scaling on my fingers where the glue had been in contact. Now I can't use it at all, I have developed some kind of reaction almost immediatly after the glue touches my skin.

The problem started after a two day marathon of glueing out on my deck in the summer. I am wondering since the glue is activated by ultra violet lights if gluing for such a long period of time in the sun had anything to do with it. I think it's a great product but just be sure to wash it off your skin right away.

Carol
Peg

Post by Peg »

I use DP460 - http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/dp460-epoxy ... p-312.html
It's not cheap, and it takes a week to fully cure - but it is the best I've found.
Gwen Fletcher

Post by Gwen Fletcher »

Thank you all for your postings. I will definitely buy E6000. Gwen