WGW 2004?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Don't forget the musical, dancing, hula girl
http://www.pattygray.com/wgw2003/extras/img_2859.jpg

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
starchimes (Andrea)

Post by starchimes (Andrea) »

Asheville would be cool. I have family there. No hotel expense :lol:
Claudia Whitten

Post by Claudia Whitten »

The more in advance dates we have of the conference, the better attended it will be. We all benefit from the board and the support we get. My other artists friends only wish they had the support that I get. I am all for an association that would support the advancement of all that we have come to enjoy(and maybe take for granted) , and would be willing to help with what I could. The biggest thing for me is Knowing in advance to schedule time off from my job to attend. I missed last year...... :cry: ....Claudia
Dani

Post by Dani »

starchimes wrote:Asheville would be cool. I have family there. No hotel expense :lol:
If it's in North Carolina, can't we all just stay with Brad...er, I mean, Dad?? :twisted:
RobinE

Post by RobinE »

I'm in. I would happily join and pay dues.

It would be great to know when the next year's conference would be while attending a current conference. This way it would get "penned" into my calendar before other commitments could sneak into that spot. Having an association with a working board of directors (note the working part) and sub-committees, as Tony suggested, could be an excellent way to support a warm glass association.

RobinE
Robin Evans
Robin Evans Studio
Colorado, USA
http://www.robinevansstudio.com
Cheryl

me 2

Post by Cheryl »

Just got the most recent GAS newsletter, reading the conference stuff, even the pre & post workshops are 99% blowing. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: we need a group.

Besides, couldn't we require all members to buy a calendar? It's definitely a collector's item ;)
Karen Laing

Post by Karen Laing »

I agree that the idea of formalizing and taking away some of the many tasks that Brad takes on. The idea of paying annual dues including if you want to use the board is not an outrageous idea. You can allow people to be guests for say a month and then they would have to decide to sign up or not.

I like the idea of Arrowmont or Asheville.
Karen Laing aka arcticlass
The Hobbyist

Re: Conferences

Post by The Hobbyist »

charlie wrote:if it's just a matter of holding a conference, there are many places in the country that specialize in holding conferences. orlando, san diego, chicago, phoenix (in the springtime), san francisco, las vegas, come immediately to mind. these places are set up to hold conferences and it's usually very reasonable to work with largish resorts in these places in order to drive down costs. it doesn't have to be in a glass-centric place, unless of course, workshops, visits to factories, or other non-conference related activities are additional requirements.
How about adding Miami to the list for Wintertime when y'all are freezing your butts up north.

Jim
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

The Laughing Seed, an Asheville eatery, has chocolate cake that causes hallucinations and delusions of grandeur.

Asheville in the Fall would be lovely.....
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Nancy wrote:The Laughing Seed, an Asheville eatery, has chocolate cake that causes hallucinations and delusions of grandeur.

Asheville in the Fall would be lovely.....
Yeah, but do they have enough for 150 of us?

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
bskirwin

Post by bskirwin »

I was a potter before becoming hooked onto glass, and the national pottery conference (NCECA) alternates on either coast every year, so that the travel burden is equally shared among all. I think that is a good idea, as well as a good way to see what different areas have to offer the warm glass world. Each city that is picked, allows their local galleries to have numerous pottery exhibits and that becomes the pottery meca for the year. The same could easily be true for glass. Just my two cents. I will go anywhere as well, but would love it to alternate between the coasts. Barbara ( from Connecticut)
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

Yeah, but do they have enough for 150 of us?

Tony[/quote]

I'm sure. If not, we can order several cakes and slice them up on a tile saw.
Barbara Silverberg

Post by Barbara Silverberg »

As a newbie, I would gladly pay an association fee or a fee to be a part of this board. I'm very grateful for all that I've learned here. I also just received Brad's book and am thrilled! If there is a conference, I am hoping that those of us who are somewhat new to warm glass won't be out of our league.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I too would join an Association. As a rule I do not join anything unless it seems to be both active and worthwhile. We (rather Brad) has laid the groundwork to show that there is the energy around an association.

Names?

Society for the Preservation of Artform Builders... SPAB

Cheers,

Bob
Pat Zmuda

Post by Pat Zmuda »

WGW I was on the West Coast; WGW II was on the East Coast. Isn't it the Midwest's turn? :lol: Chicago--for ease access from all over the country, among other amenities, although I will admit there are few facilities for pre- or post-conference workshops.

I would also concur that the time has come to form an association.

Regards,

Pat
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Artybarbie wrote:... If there is a conference, I am hoping that those of us who are somewhat new to warm glass won't be out of our league.
This conference IS for you.

The conference I attended in Portland was geared towards anyone with an interest in kiln-formed glass. Anybody would find lots (more than could be absorbed) of sessions and classes that would fit any range of experience. There were working studio's to visit (Savoy was a real treat), factory tours of Uroboros and Bulleseye. There were lots of galleries that carried lots of good work, good food, celebrations, forming new friendships and putting faces to names.

There was a juried exhibit of kiln formed glass hosted by Bullseye that was held in conjunction with the conference. It was a very valuable experience, and it didn't matter what level of experience or expertise one had. That conference was filled with folks who have decades of experience and those who hadn't even fired their own kiln. There were teachers of techniques and manufacturers of glass; there were operators of production houses and writers for glass magazines; There were artists and crafters and hobbyists and jewlers and sculptors...It was an event that was about our shared interest of kiln formed glass and there were opportunities for all.

If you can make it to the conference, I doubt you would feel out of place, or disappointed, but rather energized, excited, informed, involved, connected, educated...
Brock

Post by Brock »

If you can make it to the conference, I doubt you would feel out of place, or disappointed, but rather energized, excited, informed, involved, connected, educated...

. . . hung over. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Barbara Silverberg

Post by Barbara Silverberg »

Thank you to Brock and Cynthia for your encouragement. I needed to hear that from you. Not so sure about the "hung over" part, tho. I'll be careful in my celebrations so I won't miss a thing!
Tim Swann

Post by Tim Swann »

If an association were formed I would join as a active member.

Tim
Linda Reed

Post by Linda Reed »

I promise not to dance on the chair again
Sheesh. Too many ideas to respond to in one read!

1) If the double d's aren't chair dancing, I'm not going... comm'on Diane and Donna... the swimsuit photos may have been great, but the in person banter can't be beat... And if Lisa is going to dance too, well heck. Of course we'll have a chous line

2) I'm in for an association. I'll volunteer for something. Plunge first, ask questions later. This is worth time.

3) West coast, east cost... middle coast?? I'm a westie. I'll go back and forth and middle, but those who have problems with travel - either coast or time or method, might benefit from varied locations. west, east, middle... west, east, west, east... west, east, middle, south... west, east, Canada, south... So many choices. Do mix it up a bit so that people who cannot get away for the whatever can attend every few years. and don't forget Canada (in relatively warm weather)...

4) The 'every few years' remark is indicative of an association that has an annual confernce and an annual calender (I believe discussion already swirls over next years scenes....), and an ongoing discussion board.

More? Surely!

Brad - you've got support behind whatever you do!

Linda
"Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all. ...The world you desired can be won. It exists, it is real, it is possible, it is yours." ~ Ayn Rand