Quick Photo of Some Enamel Tests

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Lynn Perry

Quick Photo of Some Enamel Tests

Post by Lynn Perry »

I am continuing to work with enamels and did a test firing today of some more color combinations and shapes. These pieces are about 1/2 inches to 3/4 inches long and may be used as jewelry at some time. For now it is just fun to open the Quickfire kiln and see what happened with the colors.
Lynn Perry
Don Burt

Re: Quick Photo of Some Enamel Tests

Post by Don Burt »

Tasty.
twin vision glass

Post by twin vision glass »

I think it is beautiful . Is it fired on Opal glass. :?:
Give out Free Hugs!
Judd

Post by Judd »

Enamels or frit blends? It reminds me of the raku frit stuff my lampwork friend gave me to experiment with. Love your colors, BTW.
Lynn Perry

Post by Lynn Perry »

Thanks for the compliments! These are enamels on opaque glass, no glass powders or frits. They are a lot of fun to make, and I am always surprised at the fine details of the enamels on such small surface areas.
Lynn Perry
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

With enamels, whenever you get a really good colour test result , it is probably worth checking the MSDS for heavy metals. :-k
Lynn Perry

Post by Lynn Perry »

Kevin Midgley wrote:With enamels, whenever you get a really good colour test result , it is probably worth checking the MSDS for heavy metals. :-k
Good point, Kevin. I did check the MSDS for one of the enamels and it was hazardous to breathe or ingest so I am very careful with all of them. I had considered purchasing a nice air brush. I did not want to build or buy a spray booth and after further reading, I decided it was too much increased exposure and not justified by my meager talents.
Lynn Perry
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

Very nice, I've been looking for some bright enamels, may I ask? What brand are they?
Thanks!
St
Lynn Perry

Post by Lynn Perry »

When I post a photograph, I sometimes wonder how often it is viewed. While there does not appear to be a way to determine the number of viewings, I finally realized there is a tab in the User Control Panel called "Manage Attachments" which lists all the photos I have posted as well as the number of times the image has been downloaded. The enamel cabs image has been downloaded 539 times.
Lynn Perry
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Kevin Midgley wrote:With enamels, whenever you get a really good colour test result , it is probably worth checking the MSDS for heavy metals. :-k
Kevin, I am in no way saying don't be careful. I will point out that back in the day when zero safety precautions were taken and all enamels had lead in them, there were many glass painters who never retired and painted well in to their 80's. The most important precaution to take is, "don't pick your nose, or lick your fingers, with enamels on your finger."

Spraying is potentially dangerous, and I do advise wearing a mask when doing it.

Common sense careful will serve you well.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Well Bert, I had a dear friend who worked with enamels and didn't do any of the things you said not to do who experienced a short life from working with them.
Check the MSDS to know what you are dealing with before you buy them
I once bought a set of recommended enamels, ones I think you like, looked at the MSDS information when they arrived and immediately resold them on this board. I didn't want the stuff anywhere near my studio.
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

I'd like to see the MSDS of the air we breathe everyday, especially driving down the highway following an 18 wheeler belching diesel fumes.

I was talking the other day with someone regarding studio safety and they were all worked up about my tilesaw and the glass dust. At which time they figured it would be a good time to have a smoke break. SERIOUSLY how can you smoke AND care about anything regarding glass dust.
Rick Wilton