dichroic and no kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Beau Lyons

dichroic and no kiln

Post by Beau Lyons »

I am having difficulty getting a reasonable priced glass fusing kiln here in Australia.
I am being quoted USD $750 in freight alone, just for a small kiln
( I bring 20ft shipping containers from China for $1,000)
While I am sorting this out.

Can I embed black backed dichroic glass in a clear casting polyester resin (non fired) and still get the dichroic effect.
Stephen Richard

Re: dichroic and no kiln

Post by Stephen Richard »

There must be kiln builders in Australia. Find one and get a custom one made.
Yes the dichoric will work in acrylic.
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
Kim Manley

Post by Kim Manley »

What size kiln? Single phase? You can pick up kilns on eBay for the cost of your freight. I did approx 1 year ago. Then paid Tetlow in Melbourne to do a safety check. While it is a ceramic kiln, front loading, this hasn't been a problem. The studio I work at a number of these klns and provided you manage the kiln carefully.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

the Dichro needs the heat to make it work! When heated to fusing temps it's capped surface crazes thus causing the sparkle, and it usually color shifts. You won't get this effect with cold fusion!
"The Glassman"
Beau Lyons

Post by Beau Lyons »

Stephen Richard wrote:There must be kiln builders in Australia. Find one and get a custom one made.
Yes the dichoric will work in acrylic.
Yes there are, however they want three times the price compared to what is available in the USA. It is the freight that is the problem