New Sink just delivered

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Phil Hoppes

New Sink just delivered

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Here is a picture of a sink that I just delivered to my customer.

http://dell.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67 ... 4f04614546

They were quite happy and now so am I..... :D

Phil
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Nobody, but nobody would be brushing their teeth or washing their hands in that sink if it was mine. I'd have a little sign next to it reading "Please wash your hands in the tub".
-A
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

That is one nice sink Phil. You should be proud of it. Good going.
Doug
Patty Gray

Post by Patty Gray »

Beautiful Phil, breath taking.

Patty
http://www.pattygray
Brock

Post by Brock »

That's incredible Phil, nice work! Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

WOW!!!

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
dee

Re: New Sink just delivered

Post by dee »

Phil Hoppes wrote:Here is a picture of a sink that I just delivered to my customer.

http://dell.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67 ... 4f04614546

They were quite happy and now so am I..... :D

Phil
WHOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WUNDERBAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

Yikes!

Is there clear over the irid to protect it?

ch
Steve Immerman

Post by Steve Immerman »

Fantastic!

Steve
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

a tour de force, phil
wish it were going to be in my house
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Nice sink! Was it profitable?
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

Oooooooohhhhh! Aaaaaaahhhhh!

Gorgeous! I would've had a hard time parting with it.
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Phil, as I said off the board, it is absolutely fabulous! =D>

Now tell them all about the rest of the powder room . . .

Oh, never mind. I'm here, you're not, so I'll do it.

He also made a bunch of fantastic 20" x 2" black tiles mixed with some very narrow, equally long irid tiles that go beautifully with this sink. Please, please, please take photos after the install. We'll all be dying to see. You are just fantastic Phil - great job!!
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

The sink is gorgeous, and I am imagining the whole bathroom. Sweet. Really fine work on laying out the irid design. I would have hated making the tumbling block design fit the curves!

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Pat Loboda

Post by Pat Loboda »

I am in awe, Phil. Soooo Beautiful!!!!

Pat Loboda
Phil Hoppes

Post by Phil Hoppes »

Thanks so much for all of the wonderful acolades. I was really sweating this commission. When I took it out of the kiln after the final fuse with the irid on something must have dropped from the top of my kiln and made a small hole on the top right near the edge. I thought I might be able to firepolish it out. With irids you can only go to fuse once otherwise the metal sinks into the glass and becomes very faint. An interesting look but not what I'm going for on my irid work. Anyway, long story short, it came out a little when I polished it but it was one of those things that when I look at it, my eye goes right there. I was ready to scrap the whole thing but in talking to Jackie and some others they said I'm being way to picky and the customer will never notice, of course unless I point it out. Well I went ahead and the customer loved it, in fact they were blown away with it so that makes me feel very good.

To the other questions, no it is not capped. Capping again mutes the colors which I didn't want and after quite a bit of asking around especially at the source, Bullseye, it is not necessary. The irid coating is as hard as nails, maybe even harder than the glass itself, so it is not a problem leaving it uncovered.

Profitable, well depends on how you define profit. Dollar ways this one was probably a break even. But this is my very first commission on a big scale. I'm still learning a lot of the ropes. What was most important to me on this on was getting a customer that was willing to work with me. This took longer than it should due to all of the other stuff I had going on plus I was in a bind for a mold, which Jumping Jackie (CALL ME next time you dress like that to cold work......I can be of assistance :shock: ) helped me out with the use of her mold. This customer was someone who wanted to experiment and have fun. We started with the sink, it then grew to the tiles and listelles around the wall and to shades for the lights. Thats fun. I also got LOTS of contacts from her which could very well lead to more future business. So for me, all in all, yea it was profitable and for certain the future one's will be too from the $$ perspective too!

Happy Phil
suzmary

Post by suzmary »

As well you should be happy, Phil. That's one beautiful piece of artwork, and I wouldn't let my kids near it. I'd probably install it in some guarded corner with barbed wire, the way my family can go at a sink.

So very glad for you, I know this will lead to many future commissions for you. Please photo the rest of the work when it's installed. Can't wait to see! :D
"Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing." Theodore Roosevelt
ellen abbott

Post by ellen abbott »

Very impressive Phil.

E
Stephie

Post by Stephie »

That is WONDERFUL Phil! =D> You must have a great deal of patience.
Stephie
Melissa Terman

Post by Melissa Terman »

It's awesome. I am soooooo jealous of you for making a sink that is so beautiful and I am jealous of the people who get to see and use it everyday.

Melissa (she who wishes she could make sinks)
Melissa Terman