Santa brings power tools!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Studiodunn

Santa brings power tools!

Post by Studiodunn »

I was the lucky recipient of a 8" Bench Top Drill Press for Christmas. Yeah baby! My Generous Uncle seems to think I may want to consider one with more speeds/power. Having never used one before, I am beginning to do my homework on the subject...From what I have read so far, I think this will work just dandy for the situations I anticipate using it for, like cutting circles with a core bit, drilling holes in ornaments/pendants or panels for hanging. If anyone has any special insight(s) to share inclding safety/technical advice or other creative/atypical ways the drill press may be useful, I would welcome it. Naturally, I will avoid drinking Grandma's Eggnog while operating this machinery...LOL Any other advice?

Tool Shop brand
* 2.4 Amp Motor
* 5 Spindle Speeds
* 8 " Swing
* 1/2" Keyed Chuch
* 6" x 6", Open slot cast Iron table tilts 45 degrees Left/Right
* 7" Table Height Adjustment
* 22-1/2" Overall Height
“I would rather die than hate you.”
- Martin Luther King
Morganica

Re: Santa brings power tools!

Post by Morganica »

I've got a super-cheapo Harbor Freight drill press (if you wait for a sale you can get it for less than $60), and it works just fine. I wouldn't try cutting a hole in an inch-thick sink with it, but it's wonderful for drilling pendants, putting screwholes in for lightcovers, etc.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

What size holes in pendants are you going to drill??The smallest bit on drill press is 3/32". Bigger holes will give a fair amount of chip-out on the back. I always drill a 1.25mm hole with diamond bit in a flex-shaft dremel.
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

My new Christmas toy is a Covington 2 wheel 8" expando drum. What a great tool.
Bob
Attachments
cov.JPG
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

AndyT wrote:What size holes in pendants are you going to drill??The smallest bit on drill press is 3/32". Bigger holes will give a fair amount of chip-out on the back. I always drill a 1.25mm hole with diamond bit in a flex-shaft dremel.
I use solid diamond bits as small as 3/4mm with my drill press, but I typically drill 2-3mm holes using a core bit. The smallest diamond core bit I've found (so far) is 1.5mm, and I have to be really careful not to strip it out--doesn't take much.

I've reduced chipout considerably by drilling both sides, and drilling on plasticene in a waterbath. Well, actually, I've reduced chipout even more by asking my mom to do the drilling; she has an incredibly soft touch with a drill press and never breaks the glass. ;-)
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

My Xmas tool toy:
Attachments
2604.jpg
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

I declare Jim "the hobbiest" the winner!! =D> =D>
"The Glassman"
Katie M

Post by Katie M »

Lucky you. I am in the market for a lap grinder. Who makes this one? I am interested in a 24" diameter machine.
Live life ..... you can sleep when you're dead!
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

The lap grinder is made by Covington Engineering. I bought it from HIS Glassworks during their Black Friday - Cyber Monday sale. It's a beautiful, well made machine.

Jim
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg