kiln adhesive paper

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

guaranteed

kiln adhesive paper

Post by guaranteed »

I seem to have a lot of problems getting my designs to hold together while getting them in Kiln. I have used two different kinds of fusing glue but neither seem to hold even after some time to set. I had seen somewhere a paper that had adhesive that was usable in the kiln. Once the base design is done I think the glue will work for the decoration placement. Any help appreciated.
bob proulx

Re: kiln adhesive paper

Post by bob proulx »

Hair spray works well, in some cases I use a hot glue gun.
Bob
Jeanne

Post by Jeanne »

Aleene's Clear Gel Tacky Glue works for me. Exposed residue on opals might leave a haze so use sparingly. I use a fine paintbrush to brush on for small pieces. I have had problems lately with hairspray showing up on fused opals, so I stopped using it.
Last edited by Jeanne on Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yardic Glassworks

Post by Yardic Glassworks »

You are probably thinging of No Days fusing adhesive squares. I don't know anyone who has used them. I find that Elmer's Blue Gel works well and burns off cleanly. It shoild be used very sparingly and not in the center of pieces or it will never set.
Tim Yardic
Yardic Glassworks
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Doing my Glass cloisonne, I use 3M Spray adhesive on thinfire to keep the wire from moving around when laying it up. Worked fine. Easy to apply.

Barry
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

Barry Kaiser wrote:Doing my Glass cloisonne, I use 3M Spray adhesive on thinfire to keep the wire from moving around when laying it up. Worked fine. Easy to apply.

Barry
I have also used 3M contact glue spray. It is easy to lay patterns on when it is sticky. Burns beautifully off.
Stephen Richard

Post by Stephen Richard »

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but if there is consistent difficulty in getting the layup into the kiln with out disturbance, maybe the kind of layup needs to be reconsidered. If the pieces are shifting around even with some tackiness, they probably will shift within the kiln too. The glues all burn off before the glass becomes sticky, so if the glass is moving about before adding glue, it will probably move about during the firing too.
From a non-fan of glues to keep glass together before firing unless absolutely necessary, e.g., classes.
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
theanimallover

Post by theanimallover »

Glue works well for me. It just stops it shifting on being transported to kiln. After it's in the kiln it doesn't matter. Doesn't need to be set as the tackiness just stops a landslide :)