Back Of Plate - Lumpy & Dumpy

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

RachelM

Back Of Plate - Lumpy & Dumpy

Post by RachelM »

Hi All:

So I made a nice stacked plate which I am happy with except for the back of it. (trying to load the pix here...although technically challanged). I did not fuse the plate myself, but left it at the studio where I volunteer in order to use some of their tools (strip cutter and tile saw). The back of the plate is all lumpy and uneven. My gut feeling tells me that either the thinfire paper got crumpled underneath the plate or that they did not clean out the kiln from the previous firing and there was thinfire powder in little piles all over the place, on which they placed my plate.

Regardless, how do I fix this? Can I put it back into the kiln and just take up (slowly I know because it is thicker now) to a full fuse. I would now do this myself and make sure that the kiln shelf and or thinfire paper would be flat so there should be no texture. If I do this, would it be the design side up as if it were the first fusing? Another idea I had was to put a sheet of clear on it and then fuse it but without damming it, it would spread a little and I would lose my stacked design.

Thoughts, suggestions, all welcome.

Rachel
imaglassydiva@aol.com
Attachments
back stacked plate  - rlm.png
back stacked plate - rlm.png (120.42 KiB) Viewed 10435 times
RachelM

Re: Back Of Plate - Lumpy & Dumpy

Post by RachelM »

Thanks Brad. It's going back in the kiln tonight.

Rachel
imagalssydiva@aol.com
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

I usually see those kinds of divots when part of the kilnwash has flaked off the shelf and instead of scraping it clean someone just slaps on new layers of kilnwash. The new wash tends to absorb into the areas with no kilnwash while it simply builds on the rest, so it kind of exaggerates the divots. It'll telegraph to the glass surface even through thinfire.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Hey, Brad--might wanna check your computer's clock--I read Rachel's post, then her response to your post ABOVE your post, then responded and it's above yours, too. So's this one. ;-) According to it, your post won't occur for another hour or so.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
haleybach

Post by haleybach »

Morganica wrote:Hey, Brad--might wanna check your computer's clock--I read Rachel's post, then her response to your post ABOVE your post, then responded and it's above yours, too. So's this one. ;-) According to it, your post won't occur for another hour or so.
I saw that on another thread and thought I was just really sleep deprived.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Morganica wrote:Hey, Brad--might wanna check your computer's clock--I read Rachel's post, then her response to your post ABOVE your post, then responded and it's above yours, too. So's this one. ;-) According to it, your post won't occur for another hour or so.
Not my computer, it's actually the server's clock. I had made my post, noticed that the server's time was ahead an hour and a half, so I changed the server clock, moving it back the hour and a half. Net result: I'm able to be in two places at the same time (or something like that!). I guess I could go back and move everything to get it in the right order, just not sure it's worth the trouble for the few threads involved.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

RachelM wrote: My gut feeling tells me that either the thinfire paper got crumpled underneath the plate or that they did not clean out the kiln from the previous firing and there was thinfire powder in little piles all over the place, on which they placed my plate.
Your gut feeling's probably right. The shelf wasn't smooth when it was fired. It's also possible that the piece was fired very quickly and there was some trapped air between the piece and the shelf.
Regardless, how do I fix this? Can I put it back into the kiln and just take up (slowly I know because it is thicker now) to a full fuse. I would now do this myself and make sure that the kiln shelf and or thinfire paper would be flat so there should be no texture. If I do this, would it be the design side up as if it were the first fusing?
You're on the right tack. Just refire on a smooth shelf or on thinfire. Design side up, just as with the first firing. And of course a bit slower because the piece is now thicker.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

Brad Walker wrote:
Not my computer, it's actually the server's clock. I had made my post, noticed that the server's time was ahead an hour and a half, so I changed the server clock, moving it back the hour and a half. Net result: I'm able to be in two places at the same time (or something like that!). I guess I could go back and move everything to get it in the right order, just not sure it's worth the trouble for the few threads involved.
better watch out...if you meet yourself in another time you will explode..or the universe will implode..or something... i know cause i read it somewhere once. r.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
RachelM

Post by RachelM »

And ya know....as Rosanna read it somewhere....if it's on the Internet, it's true. Abe Lincoln said that. I read it!

Thanks again! I am re-fusing tonight.

Rachel
Imaglassydiva@aol.com
RachelM

Post by RachelM »

Hi ALL!

~ ~ ~ MISSION ACCOMPLISHED ~ ~ ~ =D> =D> =D> =D> :D :D :D :D :D

Back of plate is now smooth and looks a helluva lot better!!!

Rachel
imaglassydiva@aol.com