Kiln Wash on Walls

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

tgotch

Kiln Wash on Walls

Post by tgotch »

Hi,
I have a paragon glass kiln with heating elements in the lid. I started slumping bottles, and am concerned about bottles rolling into the walls while firing. I put a small piece of thinfire under the sides, but still worry about rolling.

Can I put kiln wash on the walls in case the bottles were to come in contact with them? I was reading Paragon's FAQ which states do not put kiln wash on walls, but it appears this may be referring to a kiln with elements in the walls.

Thoughts?
S.TImmerman

Re: Kiln Wash on Walls

Post by S.TImmerman »

Is your kiln level? I have never slumped a bottle however i doubt they would roll around that much. You could put a barrier up made of kiln posts or thinly cut kiln shelves. Even cut up bottle rings would work.
Good luck
tgotch

Post by tgotch »

Kiln is level. I did have one roll slightly the other day. It did not touch the wall, but this is what caused me to worry about the walls.
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

If there are no side elements I would go ahead, don't go any higher than you have too.
Bob
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

bottles will roll. they have a heavy side. i figure out which side that is and put a dot on the side that 'wants' to be up. i will also put a tiny piece of balled up used fiber under each side at the bottom. i shove it under with a paint brush. that said there is no reason why you could not wash the walls. rosanna
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Arnold Howard

Post by Arnold Howard »

tgotch wrote:I have a paragon glass kiln with heating elements in the lid. I started slumping bottles, and am concerned about bottles rolling into the walls while firing. I put a small piece of thinfire under the sides, but still worry about rolling. Can I put kiln wash on the walls in case the bottles were to come in contact with them? I was reading Paragon's FAQ which states do not put kiln wash on walls, but it appears this may be referring to a kiln with elements in the walls. Thoughts?
You're right--the FAQ referred to kilns that have sidewall elements. If you are concerned that a bottle will roll against a wall in a kiln that has only lid elements, then it would be okay to kiln-wash the walls. Coat only as high up the wall as necessary, however.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com
GuyKass

Post by GuyKass »

Cheap Insurance...

If you have the room, "strategically" place kiln furniture (or pieces of brick, pieces of tile, whatever) stuff along the edges of your shelf.

Obviously keep them out of the way of the slumping bottles, but if anything rolls, that will stop them from going overboard.

(Which of course does not really answer the question of kilnwashing the walls, but I guess I too, like the sound of my own voice.)