Genesis lg format kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Bonnie Rubinstein

Re: Genesis lg format kiln

Post by Bonnie Rubinstein »

is there such a paint that withstands high temps and is not toxic? That would be terrific..please let me know.
Bonnie Rubinstein
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

Hang in their Bonnie. You can do it! We did the front wall and the side walls. The back has rust but when it drops it never gets on the work but falls behind the shelf. It is an amazing site when you see it with the blanket off. It is for sure a two person job when you try to position the blanket without ripping it and attaching the holders........be sure to wear masks and possibly gloves. Fiberblanket can really be bad to touch and especially inhale.
You will be firing again soon!!
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Bonnie Rubinstein wrote:is there such a paint that withstands high temps and is not toxic? That would be terrific..please let me know.
Temps at the skin shouldn't be too hot.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Al Bray

Post by Al Bray »

Bonnie Rubinstein wrote:is there such a paint that withstands high temps and is not toxic? That would be terrific..please let me know.
Bonnie,

You asked about a paint used in high temp applications and this is one I have used before.

http://www.vhtpaint.com/products/flameproof/ (color I used was the flat black)

It is avaiable through most local automotive part stores.

You will want to make sure that you have the surface as clean and close to the bare metal surface as possible to ensure there is good adheasion to the metal surface you are applying it to and so moisture won't work it's away under the coating in the future.

As with any spray paint product, there is going to be a bit of a smell when applying it due to the stuff it is mixed with that allows the coating to be sprayed. And you will want to follow the directions for heat curing it in a ventilated area. But after the heat curing I haven't experienced any subsequent oder or contaminating fumes even at hight fusing/casting temps.

Could always give the mfg a call to see if it appropriate for you particular need.

- Al
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Not being a paint expert, I don't know whether the rust inhibit or the high temp factor, is more important here. Is there steel exposed to enough heat to transfer a significant amount of that heat to attached steel?

Al, I choose the aluminum color hi-temp paint, over black. I think it is much better to reflect heat than absorb it. When I build a kiln, I always paint the steel with hi-temp aluminum colored paint. I think I get this at the auto parts store. Brushable is a lot cheaper than spray cans. Since I am using new steel, there is no rust to deal with.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Bonnie Rubinstein

thanks for all the feedback.. I have called several maufacturers of high temp paints..so far- none that works in a kiln to go at 1500 for any length of time. still waitng to hear back from L & L on this (maufacturare of the kiln), but I don't think I will get much info.

I may do the rust removal and new blanket without a paint, as Laurie did. The rust is bound to return, in time.
Bonnie Rubinstein
Bonnie Rubinstein

okay- I stand corrected..Rustoleum makes a Automotive High Heat Paint..goes to 2000, and can hold at high temps. (some paints can't take heat for a long while).

Will keep you posted on the progress of my rid-my-kiln-of-rust adventure...
Bonnie Rubinstein
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

Since I did not paint..... Actually never even thought about it......it will be interesting to see if it take another 6 years to return.
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com