Attaching a metal rod to Garden Art

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

GlassCat

Attaching a metal rod to Garden Art

Post by GlassCat »

Hi all, first I want to say I have learned so much from the knowledge on this board and the wonderful books I have purchased written by some of the board members. Thanks to you all for sharing so much. I am getting ready for summer shows and wanted to add some garden art to my display this year. This prompted me to try some garden plant stakes, but I am stumped on how to attach, or what to use to attach the metal rod.

My idea is to have the rod removable for ease of storing and shipping. Everything I have seen is with the metal rod epoxied to the back of the glass. I have tried sandwiching a 14G copper wire in between the glass to use but the wire really loses it's strength in the process of fusing. I am thinking of some kind of metal flange or bracket that would have a stop so the metal stake would not keep sliding past the top of the glass--any ideas you can share would be much appreciated.

Thanks Carol
Stephen Richard

Re: Attaching a metal rod to Garden Art

Post by Stephen Richard »

Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
GlassCat

Post by GlassCat »

Thanks Stephen, I had thought of something like this but decided I really didn't want to glue the rod in. Thinking ahead to shipping, would like the rod to be removable. I was thinking somewhere along the lines of having a strap glued to the back of the piece and sliding the rod in but am stumped on what to use for the gluing on part.

Carol
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

try silicone. also try high temp wire instead of copper wire,or drill holes in glass and attached bracket with screws and rubber washers.
mwalker2992

Post by mwalker2992 »

I drill a hole in the glass, then attach a copper tube to the glass using a screw and a washer. This has worked very well for me. Easy to assemble and disassemble for shipping purposes. Message me if you need further info.
Margaret Walker
GlassCat

Post by GlassCat »

Thanks Tom and Margaret, great idea. I never thought of that and I love drilling holes. I will give that a try.

Carol
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

GlassCat wrote:Thanks Tom and Margaret, great idea. I never thought of that and I love drilling holes. I will give that a try.

Carol
i hate drilling holes. what drill bits do you use? r.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
GlassCat

Post by GlassCat »

rosanna gusler wrote:
Rosanna, I was kidding! :wink:
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

GlassCat wrote:
rosanna gusler wrote:
Rosanna, I was kidding! :wink:
damn. here i was hoping that drilling holes did not really suck and i was just doing it all wrong. another bubble burst. r.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Stephen Richard

Post by Stephen Richard »

Glasscat
You don't have to glue the rods into the holes, if you don't want them to permanent.
Rosanna,
I wouldn't say I love drilling holes, but I have drilled a lot - around a thousand on one project.
Core drill bits of good quality, treated well and a quality drill press. I use one made for drilling glass, not one of the pillar drills with a flushing head.
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

Here's another way to do it.

:)
Last edited by S.TImmerman on Wed May 21, 2014 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

S.TImmerman wrote:Here's another way to do it.

Nice! Much better than drilling holes.

Dana w
GlassCat

Post by GlassCat »

That is exactly what I was looking for, what did you use? Did you create that piece from glass or is it a found hardware piece and did you glue the rod in then?

Carol
haleybach

Post by haleybach »

GlassCat wrote:

That is exactly what I was looking for, what did you use? Did you create that piece from glass or is it a found hardware piece and did you glue the rod in then?

Carol
Since you don't want to glue the rod in, you could use o-rings (black rubber rings that they have at hardware stores, I'm not really sure what they are intended for but the work well for this type of thing). I've used them this way. They have a little give to them so you can get a nice tight fit. Slide on and slide off, takes a little effort which is good, they stay when you want them to. I would put one above and one below the rod pocket, or two below if it seems like you need more strength. You could glue the bottom one on if you wanted to.

Haley.
GlassCat

Post by GlassCat »

Thank you Haley, that sounds perfect and just what I was looking for. Will give it a try.

CAROL
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

Hi, , I just cut small clear glass rectangles and slumped them over fiber rope. I unraveled the rope so it was just 1 of 3 of the strands. Depending on how large the rod is.
Once it's slumped remove the rope and use silicon glue. I used thin rods from home depo and cut them in half. Slather the silicon glue over the rod and slip in.

You can also lay a larger piece of glass over a longer peice of fiber rope and then cut them after fusing. So you can make several at a time.

You can also situate the glass over the end of the rope so the rod can just slip in. You would want to make sure the rope is very straight (of course) and use a larger rectangle of glass.

Hope this makes sense. If you'd like more photos (or help) I'm happy to send some.

Yea!! Finally able to help someone else after all the help I've received!

Hope the weather warms up for everyone like it is here!

Shereen