TO FUSE OR NOT TO FUSE, that is the question...

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Havi

TO FUSE OR NOT TO FUSE, that is the question...

Post by Havi »

Here is another attempt to put together melt and stripes, this time with something else.

This being square - I do not have the problem of damming like with the blue one.
Yet, I would like it to become one flat surface. This means firing face down and then flip and fire.

The strips is 1.5 sentimeters, the melt 4 milimeters, the black glass 3 milimeters.

Imput and comments will be very gratefully accepted

many thanks,

Havi
שחור + MELT + פסים 002 - Copy.JPG
שחור + MELT + פסים 002 - Copy.JPG (47.12 KiB) Viewed 7715 times
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
Warren Weiss

Re: TO FUSE OR NOT TO FUSE, that is the question...

Post by Warren Weiss »

Havi,
If you fire this flat I would think the stripes would bend, being displaced by the extra thicknes of glass in certain areas.
What do others think?
Warren
Havi

Post by Havi »

I am afraid you are right, Warren. Thank you for drawing my attention to this....

I'd be happy to 'hear' others comment...
However, firing face down will prevent this, right?
OR
perhaps it will not ruin the 'composition' - uneven lines....

Thanks
Havi
Haviva Z

David Jenkins

Post by David Jenkins »

Aren't you exposed to blowing some big bubbles if you turn it upside down and fire?
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
Warren Weiss

Post by Warren Weiss »

Havi,
I suspect either face up or face down. Less so face down. Just a suspicion.
Warren
twin vision glass

Post by twin vision glass »

I am still alittle nervous about the flow of the melt and the ridged lines of the strips. What do you think. If you want the lines to stay perfectly straight then fire strips piece seperate OR cut strips . BUT the thickness will cause the glass to move outward depending on the thickness in certain parts of the piece. Bullseye has some amazing videos right now explaining this and I work alot with flow . So just be prepared to let the strips move and you may even love the push and pull and flow. Les (as the melt is so fluid so should the strips) Hmmmm! am I speaking out of turn .)
Give out Free Hugs!
haleybach

Post by haleybach »

I think your lines would move more if you fire face down.
Whatever is flat against the shelf will keep its shape, but anything on top that is not flat on the shelf will move until it is (given enough time+heat). Glass on top moves first, which is why face down firing works.

That said, I'd want to keep the shape of the pot melt and letting the lines bend some might be really interesting.
Havi

Post by Havi »

Your comments and thougt are invaluable for me, and I am very grateful for them.

I need to mention that the stripes are already fused. What you see, is the down face of the strips. The facet close to the shelf.

I usually love the uneven stripes, but in this situation the combination of the disorder in the melt, and uneven lines, seems to me to work against the piece.

In any case this should be fired very slowly, because of the thickness of the stripes, appx. 0.5" perhaps a bit more. Thanks, Dave for mentioning the danger of bubbles - yet it can be avoided by apropriate bubble squeeze.
Alternatively, the bubbles will rise upwards - and consequently get out of the back side of the piece. So no bother at all.

I really do not know what to do..............
I have a pile of black stripes which I prepared in order to fuse around this melt. But yesterday I had some visitors here, and we '
'played' with this design - and I felt I liked it. Also I was thinking that here I wo'nt have the problem of damming - like in the blue one

As I mentioned above I am very grateful for your ideas, and your sharing,

it is night here now, so I can 'sleep on it' and perhaps have some conclusion. Hopefully others will chime in, so in my morning I'll have even more what to think about..

nite nite, and many thanks,

Havi
Haviva Z