belts

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

PDXBarbara

belts

Post by PDXBarbara »

Fave cost-effective places to buy silicone carbide belts, 4 x 106?

The Oregon co, Sattex, I used to order from when I shared a belt-sander-equipped studio has dropped its abrasives line. As I recall, their prices were pretty reasonable.

HIS is something like $45 for a box of five 60-grits ($9/each). Grainger has boxes of 25 for like $695 (only looked at 120 grit) which is about $28/belt. Is CRL cheaper? (they won't give me prices without getting at least a DBA.) Yowza. Thanks.
Last edited by PDXBarbara on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbara Bader
Marty

Re: belts

Post by Marty »

HIS requires a dba? you sure?
I found HIS a little more expensive than CRL but much nicer to deal with and worthy of the support.
You could also befriend a local auto/window glass shop and see if they'll "share".
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

noooo. I'd written those sentences out of order. I just edited the damn thing. I'd hoped to catch it before inquiring & famous minds saw it.
Barbara Bader
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

PDXBarbara wrote:Fave cost-effective places to buy silicone carbide belts, 4 x 106?

The Oregon co, Sattex, I used to order from when I shared a belt-sander-equipped studio has dropped its abrasives line. As I recall, their prices were pretty reasonable.

HIS is something like $45 for a box of five 60-grits ($9/each). Grainger has boxes of 25 for like $695 (only looked at 120 grit) which is about $28/belt. Is CRL cheaper? (they won't give me prices without getting at least a DBA.) Yowza. Thanks.
CRL charges me $39.12 for a box of 5 - 120 grit belts (or 220,400). The price drops to $35.85 for 5 boxes. The grits are mixable for the discount.

80x costs $41.41, cork belts are $54.72 each, and the rest are $39.12

You must have some bud in the G guild who has an account at CRL.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Just go in and tell the salesman that you're a glass artist, that you have a CRLaurence wet belt sander and you want an account so you can buy belts. That's how I got my CRL account.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

I check eBay periodically and just bought cl belts (3 boxes of 5) 120 grit for 60.00. I should mention these are NOT from cl account on eBay. But rather an individual who is getting out of glass work. Last week I bought two boxes of 5 (80 grit) from another seller for 34.00. eBay as well as PayPal have excellent buyer protection help if needed. I have had to use it in the past once was paid back in 3 days.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Check this one out but you'd have to enquire to get wholesale pricing
http://www.hitechglazing.com/product/43202/40382
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Good suggestions, guys. Thanks.
Barbara Bader
Jerrwel

Post by Jerrwel »

I bought mixed-grit assortment of belts from Covingtonhttp://www.covington-engineering.com/index.html recently; great experience and the prices seemed reasonable.
Jerry
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Barbara. Call me, I've got belts you might be interested in.
Last edited by Doug Randall on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Doug Randall wrote:Try here: http://www.abrasivesales.com/prodmenu.asp

Good prices and service. (80 grit) 4x106 SiCa belts run about $12.30 each when you buy a dozen.
The CRL price of $41.41 is for a box of 5 - 4x106 - 80 grit A discount down to $37.93 is for 5 boxes, mix and match.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Me 2
Jim

Tony Smith wrote:Just go in and tell the salesman that you're a glass artist, that you have a CRLaurence wet belt sander and you want an account so you can buy belts. That's how I got my CRL account.

Tony