Signing work for Magless

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Studiodunn

Signing work for Magless

Post by Studiodunn »

Greetings All!

Today I am planning on signing my Magless pieces and getting them into the mail! Yeehaw! However I could use a little advice before I do so. My plan is to dremel etch my signature on the back of each piece. The base glass is white which will make it difficult to see the etching. What can I rub over the signature to make it stand out better?

Thank you!
“I would rather die than hate you.”
- Martin Luther King
Nicole Hanna

Re: Signing work for Magless

Post by Nicole Hanna »

I usually just go over it with a black marker, then wipe off the excess.
When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would have not a single bit of talent left and could say, "I used everything you gave me." (erma bombeck)
Jeanne

Post by Jeanne »

I use a 2mm barrel shaped diamond coated bit to sign my pieces. You can see that on it's own. Some other diamond coated bits I have (the pointy ones) are too fine and don't show up very well.
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Try the Harbor freight engraving pen. It has a small ball bit and works like a charm.
\

Barry
RachelM

Post by RachelM »

I like Barry's idea since I got one of these engraving pens from Harbor Freight for a holiday gift from someone!
And,the back of my magless(es?) are also white.

Rachel :)
imaglassydiva@aol.com
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

Use the pen and then rub'n buff.
Bob
http://www.dickblick.com/products/amaco ... -finishes/
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

shoe polish rubbed in engraved area.
Studiodunn

Post by Studiodunn »

Lots of excellent ideas for future reference...

Before I shipped them on Wed., I tried black sharpie on a sample and discovered I could ever so slightly see it when light was able to shine through the piece. So for this batch, I just left the etched signature without color. But I appreciate knowing other options to consider for future projects!

Thank you!
“I would rather die than hate you.”
- Martin Luther King
Al Bray

Post by Al Bray »

Studiodunn wrote:Lots of excellent ideas for future reference...

Before I shipped them on Wed., I tried black sharpie on a sample and discovered I could ever so slightly see it when light was able to shine through the piece. So for this batch, I just left the etched signature without color. But I appreciate knowing other options to consider for future projects!

Thank you!
I just ordered one of these as I had to order a gold coated face shield from Wale Apparatus and I noticed them when looking over their other product offerings:

http://www.waleapparatus.com/catalog.as ... prevnext=1

Not sure how it is going to work especially on darker colored opals or transparent glass, but I like the idea of how it works from the description and I will follow up after I have had a chance to give it a try.

- Al
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

Al Bray wrote:
Studiodunn wrote:Lots of excellent ideas for future reference...

Thank you!
I just ordered one of these as I had to order a gold coated face shield from Wale Apparatus and I noticed them when looking over their other product offerings:

http://www.waleapparatus.com/catalog.as ... prevnext=1

Not sure how it is going to work especially on darker colored opals or transparent glass, but I like the idea of how it works from the description and I will follow up after I have had a chance to give it a try.

- Al
Hi Al, I am a member on a lampworking forum and a lot of people there use this tool and highly recommend it.
Bob