Building a glass storage cabinet

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Dolores

Building a glass storage cabinet

Post by Dolores »

The final phases of my studio revamp are upon me and one of the few things left is the construction of a slotted glass storage cabinet. I've scoured the internet for ideas/plans etc, but was wondering if anyone had some good leads on this. Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

DOLORES
Barb R

Re: Building a glass storage cabinet

Post by Barb R »

I just use a crate for the big glass, but I found these, and they work really well for glass that's about 12 - 13 inches. I bought a bunch of them and have them standing on end so I can slide the glass in and out.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/whi ... be-776054/

Barb
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

I started out saying I store glass in two different cabinets, but when I sat down and thought about it, I actually store glass a LOT of different ways:

Inside "clean" (HAH!) studio:
--Small scrap/valuable bits (like dichro and murrini) in little plastic drawer bins, the kind you buy at ContainerStore or wherever, organized by color/type
--Bigger scrap goes into bigger drawer bins, organized by color and transparency
--Sheet edge cutoffs and long strips go into long white plastic kitchen baskets that I pull out of a lower cupboard when needed (otherwise they're out of sight--I don't use them much)
--Larger scrap and 8x10 sheet are stacked on end in clear plastic magazine organizers, organized by color family
--Bigger clear, white and black scrap in usable shapes (like big rectangles) get their own bins
--Half sheets are organized by color and transparency in a 20x20x24 inch divider bin I had made from quarter-inch acrylic sheet
--Full sheets I need immediately and long 6mm Tekta sheets are stored to the side of my half-sheet bin, against the wall
--Stringer tubes are stored in an art store paintbrush rack
--Rod is in an old acrylic brochures rack, arranged by color
--Frit is on the wall, in narrow video production studio shelves, arranged by color/transparency

(unbelievably) "Dirty" studio in the garage:
--Full sheet bin made of scrap plywood, organized by neutral/warm/cold/clear colors
--Billet is stacked on industrial shelving, by color and brand
--5lb frit jars arranged by color on a waist-high ledge behind the kilns
--40-lb frit buckets on pull-out carts under my workbench
--Clear scrap that isn't in the inside bin goes in to a big bucket on the pull-out carts
--Billet scrap and casting cullet in buckets on pullout carts under my workbench

Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i feel better now. thanks cynthia. i am cleaning our shop and was feeling sort of bad about how freaking much stuff i had. i might have you beat but not by much. rosanna
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

I built mine from 1/2" particle board and painted white. you could build it any size and make the dividers to fit your glass.
Attachments
bins 001.JPG
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

No, Rosanna, I think AndyT wins...that looks like Bullseye's glass racks!
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

Morganica wrote:No, Rosanna, I think AndyT wins...that looks like Bullseye's glass racks!
Pretty much a mix of everybody's glass. And, that's just one side. Same amount on the other side and behind and half sheet racks at the back.
Dolores

Post by Dolores »

Thank you everyone!
Cynthia- you are one organized artist :). Loved all your studio pics. I think I got you beat with the sheer amount of stuff I've got to pack away in my new digs!

Andy- Bullseye called. They're running out of glass because you have it all in your stacks! :)

Barb- I went to my local Michaels store and, low and behold, they had all their storage cubes 40% off! I bought enough to build three solid stacked rows and they are very sturdy. I'll post pics when it's all up and running.

DOLORES
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

I think the biggest lesson learned is to not underestimate the weight of glass. We've seen beautifully constructed glass racks come crashing down and taking thousands of dollars in glass with them. So use quality materials, plywood vs particle board, and keep the largest sheets (and heaviest weight) close to the ground.

Tont
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Dolores

Post by Dolores »

duly noted, Tony, thanks for the input. I'm bolting them together and probably to the wall as well. Fortunately, I only use half sheets but usually smaller. If I see it's going to be a problem, I could mount them on a sold layer of plywood for extra support.

DOLORES
Kathy K

Post by Kathy K »

I found a book called "Your Stained Glass Workshop; Proects and Ideas for Creating a Complete Home Workshop" by Gene Mayo. There are plans for Small, Medium and Large Glass Racks. We found some scrap plywood on CL and my husband built me several racks. There is SOME semblance of order now. He used the scrap to build some small shelves on each end for frit. Holds Full sheet, 10 x 10, strips and miscellaneous sizes. He also made one sized to fit half sheets.
Attachments
Glass Rack-Compressed.jpg
Glass Rack-Compressed.jpg (14.61 KiB) Viewed 27457 times