2013 Magnet Exchange Now Underway

This is the forum for discussing Warm Glass community projects such as the Magnet Exchange, the Collaboration, and similar efforts.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Barbara Cashman

Re: 2013 Magnet Exchange Now Underway

Post by Barbara Cashman »

Me too. My tests are not going well....
Barbara J Cashman
http://www.glastile.com
Glass Tile Manufacturer
HEIDI in Wa. state

Post by HEIDI in Wa. state »

Barbara Cashman wrote:Me too. My tests are not going well....
Mine either, I think I better come up with a plan B
HEIDI
Corlette M

Post by Corlette M »

Just wondering what type of goodies Susan Mc is hoping for in the boxes of maglesses. I believe it is customary to include a little surprise for the sorter?
RachelM

Post by RachelM »

OK. Mine are bagged and tagged and going out in the mail on Monday in the AM!
Didn't really think I was going to make the deadline.

My How -To's have a long list of "What I Learned"....

includng....thinking NOW what I want to do for next year!

Regarding this little gift for the the sorter....we talking edible or glass?

:D

Rachel
imaglassydiva@aol.com
Susan Mc

Post by Susan Mc »

RachelM wrote:OK. Mine are bagged and tagged and going out in the mail on Monday in the AM!
Didn't really think I was going to make the deadline.

My How -To's have a long list of "What I Learned"....

includng....thinking NOW what I want to do for next year!

Regarding this little gift for the the sorter....we talking edible or glass?

:D

Rachel
imaglassydiva@aol.com
I don't need either. :-) So no need! But anything that is sent I will give to the sorting helpers.
But the idea of receiving 50 different small pieces of glass to play with is intriguing. Hmmmm. Do we have an idea for a new exchange. Lol
nancyB

Post by nancyB »

I just sent my box on its way... It should arrive on the 7TH! I always use this exchange to work on something that I have not done before. The results are usually a work in progress towards a much more pleasing finished product. This year is no different.

I am grateful to those who send incredible magless... I am also grateful for those who show us a new way of doing something or a work in progress that is also an inspiration ...

I look forward to seeing these goodies by the end of the month.

take care,
nancyB
Susan Mc

Post by Susan Mc »

I have had to change the sort date to March 23rd. But I'll make sure they get mailed out on the 25th. Just a few days late. Remember to include a self addressed label.
Susan Mc

Post by Susan Mc »

My poor mailman asked me if I was on a shopping spree. I briefly explained the exchanged but he didn't really get it. If you want to know if I've received yours look at the list of participants above and if your name is BOLD I got it. I will be in Hawaii for the next week but there will be someone here to accept the magless boxes. (I'll mark those in bold when I get back) So if you haven't sent yours in now if the time!!! I can't wait to see them all but I'm not peeking!
Melodie

Post by Melodie »

I was able to send in a piece ... yay! Sorry but It has a bit of a devit issue but I didn't think it bad enough to not send them in.

I just want to add ... OMG! :shock: In all my 14yrs of doing this I have NEVER had a piece that fought creation every step of the way as this one did. :lol: If this had been my first exchange and I thought this was how it was always going to be I would never do another, it was that bad. :lol: I can't tell you how many times I got upset and said I was quitting ... and then went back to it the next day. :roll: So, if you can see past the devited edges and like the piece be sure to give thanks to Sue and Barbara, without their encouragement I would have dropped out. :-2q(-_-)p

And Jim ... I know you are reading these posts ... I did NOT break with tradition this year. The mags were overnighted within an hour of being removed from the kiln. :lol:
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Melodie wrote:I was able to send in a piece ... yay! Sorry but It has a bit of a devit issue but I didn't think it bad enough to not send them in.

I just want to add ... OMG! :shock: In all my 14yrs of doing this I have NEVER had a piece that fought creation every step of the way as this one did. :lol: If this had been my first exchange and I thought this was how it was always going to be I would never do another, it was that bad. :lol: I can't tell you how many times I got upset and said I was quitting ... and then went back to it the next day. :roll: So, if you can see past the devited edges and like the piece be sure to give thanks to Sue and Barbara, without their encouragement I would have dropped out. :-2q(-_-)p

And Jim ... I know you are reading these posts ... I did NOT break with tradition this year. The mags were overnighted within an hour of being removed from the kiln. :lol:
Melodie,

Your piece last year was beautiful. I am sure this will be every bit as amazing.

Dana W.
Tracy Fries

Post by Tracy Fries »

Is it silly that I woke up this morning, went out to check the kiln, and suddenly thought "Hey, I think it's sorting day!" Just newbie excitement? I simply cannot wait to see each beautiful piece and learn from everyone's experiences!
Melodie

Post by Melodie »

Thanks Dana :D
Tracy Fries wrote:Is it silly that I woke up this morning, went out to check the kiln, and suddenly thought "Hey, I think it's sorting day!" Just newbie excitement? I simply cannot wait to see each beautiful piece and learn from everyone's experiences!
It's not silly or just newbie excitement. :D I woke up excited thinking about it being sorting day also and I've been doing this a long time.
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Hi Melodie,

Of course I'm reading (lurking) everyday. I try to stop by here whenever I notice a new post.

I was, at first, disappointed to see you were not going to be able to finish because of illness. But down deep I knew there was nothing that could keep you from sending in your Mags. Of course they would have to be expressed at the last minute. How else?

I was hoping to join this year but it was a wise decision not to. I haven't fired a kiln in almost two months and this is the perfect season to be out there in the garage/studio. It's because I've committed myself to getting rid of most of our accumulation of collectibles. I spend a lot of my time selling on Ebay. I started last July and finally, last month, I was able to move out of the 10 x 10 storage unit I had been renting for much too long. The next goal is to get all those boxes out of the garage and off the patio. I'm bringing in a lot of cash but the main reason for selling is to clean out before I die. Neither of my kids want the stuff or will see that it is sold off at decent prices. I would also like to free up some shelf space to display some of my work.

I'm looking forward to the how-tos and pictures of this year's mags. There's always something to learn from them.
Hopefully you have an extra Mag that you can trade with me. I'll send you whatever you might like in whatever color(s) you desire.

Miss you......................Jim (The Hobbyist)
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Melodie

Post by Melodie »

Hi Jim,

I was hoping you signed up this year but totally understand why you didn't. Sounds like you've been quite busy.

You need to be displaying your gorgeous work! But, I have you beat on the kiln issue. :D This was the first time mine has been fired since last year's exchange. :oops: I hope you can get back to your glasswork soon, I've always been a big fan of your art.

Hmmmm ... you might want to wait and take a peek at my piece before deciding if you want one. Even though it gave me a ton of trouble it's really quite plain. The only interesting part is the lampwork that is fused inbetween the layers. I'm afraid I'm too late to submit my How To but I will post it in that thread after people have gotten their mags.

Missed talking to you as well.

Melodie
Susan Mc

Post by Susan Mc »

Well, the sort is done. It went very well. The weather was perfect and we had just enough people to get it done quickly but not get in each others way. My husband, Brian made us a wonderful lunch including BBQ'd tritip and sausage. Thank you to everyone who sent goodies. It wasn't necessary but it was very much appreciated. There was something for everyone. The boxes will be shipped out Monday so be on the lookout. I'm looking forward to the How-To's. If you haven't done it yet be sure to send you How-To to Jennifer Polver (Participant #13). She is SO sweet to do this. Now it's time to start making next years magless. Lol Susan Mc
Delberta D

Post by Delberta D »

I am also soooo excited. This is my first time too!
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I just opened my box!

No spoiler here but I can say that the contents are just as impressive as ever! Lots of inspiration, smiles and WTF (in a good way!) moments.
Melodie

Post by Melodie »

Valerie Adams wrote:I just opened my box!
=D> Don't you just love that moment when you get to dig in the box for the first time. :D

I'm jealous. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tracy Fries

Post by Tracy Fries »

Melodie wrote:
Valerie Adams wrote:I just opened my box!
=D> Don't you just love that moment when you get to dig in the box for the first time. :D

I'm jealous. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Absolutely GREEN with envy over here!!!!! Eeeeeeeeek! Can hardly stand the wait!
Tracy Fries

Post by Tracy Fries »

Happy Dance! How much fun is opening that box? Just Wow! Truly going to have to step up my game next year. Lovely work, everyone: =D>

Kind of feel a bit like the girl who showed up to the dance in the same dress as someone else - after all the 'already done that' ideas I scrapped, I can't believe I did the same technique as another participant! :lol: