What magnet to put on fridge mags?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Mike Jordan

What magnet to put on fridge mags?

Post by Mike Jordan »

Back a few years ago it was discussed on what and were to get magnets to put on the back of the distributed magless creations. I did a search but the thread didn't come up (probably lost with a lot of others) under magnets. I've been doing some FreezeNFuse things from ice cube molds and want to turn some of them into fridge magnets but I'm not sure what kind of magnet to get. I went to several large sellers of magnets and most of them have the super strong Neodymium type but it seems that a magnet with a 3 to 7 pound pull force is a bit stronger than needed. But I could be wrong since I've never tested the pulling power of an average fridge magnet and my fingers are not calibrated. :D

I never bothered to put magnets on the back of the magless I got in the two exchanges I participated in but I know others have. Has anyone found what the best size and type of magnet to get for a piece of glass in the 2" size? And what kind of glue are you using to put them on so they don't pull off?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Mike
It's said that inside each of us is an artist trying to get out. Well mine got out... and I haven't seen him since.
Barb R

Re: What magnet to put on fridge mags?

Post by Barb R »

I've bought my magnets from various sources on the web, depending on the price. I do like this source as well:

http://www.amazingmagnets.com/sf-disc-m ... ?pagenum=2

I especially like how they show the magnet size in relation to a penny on this site - so you can see exactly what you are buying. I don't like the teeny-tiny ones - they are too hard to handle - I go with at least the 1/4" or bigger and at least 1/16" thick. If they are too thin, it makes it hard to get your fingers under the magnet to take it off the fridge.

I use GE Silicone 2 Household glue, and it holds pretty well. I've only had a few magnets come off over the years -and I think that's mainly because I was impatient and didn't let them setup long enough before hanging them.

Barb
Mike Jordan

Post by Mike Jordan »

Thanks for the info, Barb. Yea, I think the tiny ones are too tiny as well. I was looking at the ones about a 1/2" across and about 1/16th thick. Thanks for the tip on glue. I'd hate to put the magnets on and then have them pop off the first time they are pulled from the fridge. :D

Mike
It's said that inside each of us is an artist trying to get out. Well mine got out... and I haven't seen him since.
Jeanne

Post by Jeanne »

I have some magnets that I bought years ago at Michaels or Joann's. They are made by Darice. They are 3/4" round and 1/4" thick. They are wicked strong and hold pieces really well on the fridge. So well that they are a little difficult to pull off at times. I used Amazing Goop. I've never had any come off.

http://www.joann.com/super-strong-ceram ... xprd75661/
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Have you tried Northwest Magnet? (near Uroboros) or Off the Wall?

They have lots of different types of magnets, so you can probably find ones that work for your application.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Mike Jordan

Post by Mike Jordan »

I did order a number of different size magnets to try and I found all of them to be to strong to be simple fridge magnets. If I wanted to hold a ream of paper or all the junk mail I get, they would be great. Or if I want making fridge magnets the size of dinner plates. :D A half inch across by a quarter inch thick was the smallest one I got and if it was just a little bit weaker I think it would work ok. On the other hand, I did look at some of the cheaper black magnets and the comments I read that they could barely hold their own weight on the fridge door was very close to accurate. The warnings are sure right about these not being toys and to be careful with them when you get them close together. I bought one batch at K&J Magnets, which were shipped pretty fast. I bought another bunch off of Amazon. I should have looked at Amazon first but they are usually a little bit higher than most places so I didn't look there first. I found the same magnets plus a bunch of others that K&J had but they were cheaper. I'm going to order some of the smaller ones and see if the pull on those will work better. I have to be careful though, my metal file cabinets are already leaning towards my desk and if I get to many more of these super strong magnets I'm going to have then on top of me. :D

Mike