Las Vegas Glass Expo

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Tracy Fries

Las Vegas Glass Expo

Post by Tracy Fries »

This may be the wrong forum for this post, but I wasn't quite sure where to place it..............and since I consider myself a relative newb, figured this was as good as anywhere. Please let me know if it needs to be moved.

Anyone here going to be in Vegas for the Glass Expo next week? I'll be down there and thought it might be nice to put some faces to names....
mwalker2992

Re: Las Vegas Glass Expo

Post by mwalker2992 »

I will be there.

Margaret Walker
Margaret Walker
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Tracy Fries wrote:This may be the wrong forum for this post, but I wasn't quite sure where to place it..............and since I consider myself a relative newb, figured this was as good as anywhere. Please let me know if it needs to be moved.

Anyone here going to be in Vegas for the Glass Expo next week? I'll be down there and thought it might be nice to put some faces to names....
I will be there. I get in Wednesday night and stay until Sunday; taking classes all four days.

Dana W.
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

There are 2 get togethers at the Expo

Thursday night there will be a dinner hosted by Kerri at Celtcrafts@aol.com. Email her for the location.
Saturday night there will be an open house hosted by Susan Lowenthal. You can get the location of the open house by calling her room at the Southpoint.

Barry
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Barry Kaiser wrote:There are 2 get togethers at the Expo

Thursday night there will be a dinner hosted by Kerri at Celtcrafts@aol.com. Email her for the location.
Saturday night there will be an open house hosted by Susan Lowenthal. You can get the location of the open house by calling her room at the Southpoint.

Barry
I get to take a class with Barry :)

Dana W.
Tracy Fries

Post by Tracy Fries »

Lucky you! I had heard that his classes fill up rather quickly. I get in on Tuesday night and fly out on Sunday. Also have classes scheduled the whole week - worried that maybe I booked myself up too much and won't get to 'browse' the hall - first timer who wasn't thinking when she was salivating over the class schedule....

Margaret and Dana - have either of you been before?

Barry - thanks for sharing that info!

Looking forward to meeting ya'all if possible!
mwalker2992

Post by mwalker2992 »

Tracy, this will be my first trip. I am taking a class by Janet Schrader. We get on Wed morning and stay thru Sunday. Am so looking forward to the whole experience!
Margaret Walker
vblue

Post by vblue »

Margaret,
You will love Jan's class. She is one of those instructors who is willing to "give" information. Which class are you taking?

I've been several times in the past. Lots of fun. If you are staying at South Point Hotel.....really nice place and so nice to sleep later, get up, walk to the other side of the hotel for classes and exhibits.

Vernelle
Marty

Post by Marty »

vblue wrote:Margaret,
....She is one of those instructors who is willing to "give" information....
Vernelle
What do the others do? Withhold it? In that case why teach at all?
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Tracy Fries wrote: Also have classes scheduled the whole week - worried that maybe I booked myself up too much and won't get to 'browse' the hall - first timer who wasn't thinking when she was salivating over the class schedule....

Margaret and Dana - have either of you been before?

Barry - thanks for sharing that info!
This is my third year. IMO, if you miss the exhibition hall, you haven't missed much ;). My first year I expected there would be an opportunity to buy lots of "stuff". There are items for sale, obviously, but either I get too overwhelmed by all the shiny objects, or there just isn't that much I am interested in. The show is geared to glass artists, but it also serves the "public" who are interested in buying beads and various other "junk".

If you are looking for equipment, it's a good place to talk to the vendors and get info, and Blue Fire molds always has a big booth with plenty of molds. Austin Thin films is there and you can pick up scrap bags of dichro inexpensively. Bullseye glass is there (of course) and they usually have a show special on the price of their annual elearning subscription -- it's definitely worth the $30 or so you pay for it, if nothing else, to get ideas flowing.

From my perspective, you made a good choice booking yourself solid :mrgreen:. I leave exhausted, but just so darned ELATED to have spent four days doing nothing but creating and learning.

I typically use the lunch hour to cruise the hall, and some classes get out an hour before the hall closes. I did put in a comment last year that they need to keep the hall open late one night, but I doubt that will do any good!

Dana W.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

mwalker2992 wrote:Tracy, this will be my first trip. I am taking a class by Janet Schrader. We get on Wed morning and stay thru Sunday. Am so looking forward to the whole experience!
I have a class with Janet on Thursday.

Dana W.
Tracy Fries

Post by Tracy Fries »

JestersBaubles wrote: I leave exhausted, but just so darned ELATED to have spent four days doing nothing but creating and learning.

Dana W.
THAT is my goal! :D Thanks for the insight. I'm checked in and anxiously awaiting tomorrow morning!
lorimendenhall

Post by lorimendenhall »

so for those of you who went, what did you see that was interesting?
mwalker2992

Post by mwalker2992 »

My class was disappointing. Instructor very unorganized and not enough supplies. I enjoyed the exhibit hall.
Margaret Walker
lorimendenhall

Post by lorimendenhall »

that's really too bad - those classes are expensive. Did you find any great bargains there? I live in CA and thought about driving out there but couldn't swing it this time.
Tracy Fries

Post by Tracy Fries »

I had some amazing classes, and like Margaret, I also had a dud or two thrown in there - but what fun! And I did learn something in every class, even the less than stellar ones. I came home completely exhausting - maybe because we squeezed some client meetings into the trip as well - and overflowing with creative motivation! I will definitely be going again next year, but will be a bit more discerning about which classes I take. I had some friends who had been before that picked up some amazing deals - like full rounds of CBS dichro for 60 bucks - but, alas, most of the really good buys were sold out by the time I got out of class and down to the show floor. I did pick up a new (bigger) kiln, though. It was a demo kiln used in Patty Gray's class - I'm quite excited to have it arrive next week. My 16" Paragon has been a real workhorse, and great for learning with, but I really have been coveting more space and depth!
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Tracy Fries wrote: I did pick up a new (bigger) kiln, though. It was a demo kiln used in Patty Gray's class - I'm quite excited to have it arrive next week. My 16" Paragon has been a real workhorse, and great for learning with, but I really have been coveting more space and depth!
Did you take Patty's class?

I think I am spoiled. I took her class at the last expo, and then took another class from her at D&L in the fall. Her classes are jam-packed full of information and one project after another. I missed that fast-paced environment at the expo this year -- it seemed odd to walk into a class and only work on one project!

The class I enjoyed the most/learned the most was a design class on Sunday by Lisa Vogt. I'm not trained as an artist, so I need all the help I can get :mrgreen: .

Dana
Tracy Fries

Post by Tracy Fries »

JestersBaubles wrote:
Tracy Fries wrote: I did pick up a new (bigger) kiln, though. It was a demo kiln used in Patty Gray's class - I'm quite excited to have it arrive next week. My 16" Paragon has been a real workhorse, and great for learning with, but I really have been coveting more space and depth!
Did you take Patty's class?

I think I am spoiled. I took her class at the last expo, and then took another class from her at D&L in the fall. Her classes are jam-packed full of information and one project after another. I missed that fast-paced environment at the expo this year -- it seemed odd to walk into a class and only work on one project!

The class I enjoyed the most/learned the most was a design class on Sunday by Lisa Vogt. I'm not trained as an artist, so I need all the help I can get :mrgreen: .

Dana

Yes! I felt fortunate to have snagged a spot in her second class. Fast paced and not a moment to spare.....loved it! I had also hoped to get into the "Two Intense Days" class - would you recommend that for next year? I took Lisa Vogt's class on marketing/production - would have liked to have taken the Sunday class as well, for the same reason, but alas, a girl can only soak up so much at a time!