MICR Printer owners

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

flite risk

MICR Printer owners

Post by flite risk »

I have been looking at MICR printers lately and have searched the archives for any information on them. It has been a bit confusing because most of them have become obsolete and when I try and research the current printers listed I find that they don't mention that they are MICR capable. It would be great to hear from folks that do have one of these current printers and where they purchased it. I really like the sepia images and want to start making them.

Thanks!
Tom
SDG
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: MICR Printer owners

Post by Brad Walker »

flite risk wrote:I have been looking at MICR printers lately and have searched the archives for any information on them. It has been a bit confusing because most of them have become obsolete and when I try and research the current printers listed I find that they don't mention that they are MICR capable. It would be great to hear from folks that do have one of these current printers and where they purchased it. I really like the sepia images and want to start making them.
I assume you want to print decals. MICR is not a type of printer. It is a type of toner that is used to print checks. You can get MICR toner for most laser printers. However, don't make the mistake of thinking that if you have MICR toner you can print decals. That's not necessarily the case.

Instead, look for a printer that can use a toner with a relatively high iron content. Most HP laser printers fit into this category. You'll have to use the HP brand toner; many of the off brand toners won't work.
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Gotta disagree with you Brad. I've used off brands for several different HP (6P, 1020, 1018) printers and they all work fine.
I believe the printing process for HPs is magnetic and need the iron in the toner to work...thus the no-names work fine.

Barry
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Barry Kaiser wrote:Gotta disagree with you Brad. I've used off brands for several different HP (6P, 1020, 1018) printers and they all work fine.
I believe the printing process for HPs is magnetic and need the iron in the toner to work...thus the no-names work fine.
They don't all work, Barry. Perhaps most do, but they certainly don't all work. We've had off brands that work and off brands that didn't.
GlassCat

Post by GlassCat »

I have an HP P1006 which is one of the lowest prices HP carries and it prints decals just fine but I do use the HP brand toner cartridge--have tried the recycled ones and didn't work for me.

Carol
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

I also have the hp p 1006 and it works well I don't think they make this model any more but they have something new in the same price range. Check out the HP store on line, I paid $99.00 with free shipping.
Bob
flite risk

Post by flite risk »

Thanks all for the input!

Brad, I understand now that it requires the magnetic transfer for the iron content in the toner. thanks!

Based on the feedback from you folks I went to the HP site and found what I think is the closest replacement to the P1006 which is the HP LaserJet Pro P1102w Printer. They want $130 for it which seems cheap to me but I think is what I need.

I also found the HP MSDS library: http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/globalcitizens ... useng.html

The MSDS for the P1102w cartridge (CE285A) shows that it has <45 ferrite which I am hoping is enough for the decals. It does not say what the exact content is but it also shows that it ships as a magnetized material so I am assuming that is good. I also checked online for off brand cartridge suppliers and they supply a micr cartridge for this model which also bodes well. So unless I hear differently, I think I will go ahead and get this model.

I am looking forward to printing some decals. I see quite a few decal suppliers but it looks like the manufacturer might be the same.

Thanks for your replies!

Tom
SDG
Mike Griffin

Post by Mike Griffin »

I've just bought a P1102w printer and it works great. I couldn't believe that it only cost $89. The standard toner #85, CE285A has >45% iron pigment and it produces great sepia fused glass prints. No need to search for a MICR toner cartridge.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

My husband just purchased a Canon laser printer, I think the MF4880. I checked the MSDS on the toner cartridge, and it has fairly high iron (ferrite) content. I am going to give it a try in a few weeks using gel medium (I'll be traveling through April 20, so no time for glass for a while after the expo). I'll report back on how it goes.

Dana W.
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

JestersBaubles wrote:My husband just purchased a Canon laser printer, I think the MF4880. I checked the MSDS on the toner cartridge, and it has fairly high iron (ferrite) content. I am going to give it a try in a few weeks using gel medium (I'll be traveling through April 20, so no time for glass for a while after the expo). I'll report back on how it goes.

Dana W.
Hi Dana, what do you mean by gel medium.
Bob
LDGlass

Post by LDGlass »

I went online (Amazon.com I think) and just ordered a micr toner for my printer (Samsung) and it works great for decals.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

bob proulx wrote: Hi Dana, what do you mean by gel medium.
Bob
I haven't tried it yet but supposedly...

Print your image on a laser printer with high iron content. Paint the printed image with matte gel medium (painters use it to thin paints), place on irid glass and fire. Image is transferred to the glass.

Cheaper than photo paper or decals :mrgreen:, though if IIRC, it does have to be irid glass for the image to transfer and "stick", and I believe it's recommended that you cap it later. I need to pull out my notes.

Dana W.
Mike Griffin

Post by Mike Griffin »

Similar to what I'm doing. Laser print on plain paper. Thin layer of artist's acrylic varnish (eg. Aleen's Enhancers gloss varnish but others work too) on glass and stick paper print side down to wet surface avoiding bubbles. I'm not using iridised glass. Paper burns off at about 450 deg C in a slumping cycle leaving a fine ash, some of which makes the glass surface hazy but most of the image adheres. When capped and full fused the haziness disappears, supposedly it dissolves in the glass. Inspected with crossed polarisers there is no sign of stress at the joint. I haven't yet found an ashless paper that doesn't lift or buckle at the ashing stage.
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

Thanks Dana and Mike.
Bob