Blade or Wheel Stiffener

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jeanne

Blade or Wheel Stiffener

Post by Jeanne »

I bought a 6" X .012 saw blade for my 7" Rigid Saw. It needs stabilizing. I see people use 6" stabilizers for 10" blades and I'm wondering if anyone has used 4" stabilizers for a 6" blade? Or... if there's another alternative. Couldn't find any on HIS but saw them on Amazon.
Rick Wilton

Re: Blade or Wheel Stiffener

Post by Rick Wilton »

I wouldn't think you'd need a stabilizer on a small blade like 6" you shouldn't get too much flex out of that size blade. A four inch stabilizer on a 6" blade will leave you maybe 1/2" to 3/4" of usable cutting depth.

Why do you think you need a stabilizer?
Rick Wilton
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

oh Rick you can get flex alright on a small blade. Been there done that. Lapidary thin blades can sure save on kerf width loss but you really have to treat them right or they can be permanently distorted pretty quick.
So yes with a blade that thin, get the stiffeners. You've been warned.
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

Kevin, I've never used a 6" blade so I'll yield to your judgement on that, however I think a 4" stiffener may be problematic as that'll leave only 1 inch of blade exposed which would leave you 3/4" max cutting depth.
Rick Wilton
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Absolutely correct Rick about the cutting depth but with a really skinny blade anything not perfect in the cutting process results in a bent useless blade.
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

Give H.I.S. a call. They may have them even tho not on the web site. Plus they'll give you great advice!
"Every artist was first an amateur."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson