Tekta not so clear...

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

smallbitz

Tekta not so clear...

Post by smallbitz »

I was generously given a load of Tekta by someone, and have used it in several projects. I have noticed that when I use it as a main component (as in a plate w/PB inclusions), it does not seem very clear. I don't use thinfire, just a kiln washed shelf. Is that just what Tekta does? Haven't used it much in the past. Am I better off using regular BE clear when that is the main component of a plate or other project? Would appreciate any advice!
Marty

Re: Tekta not so clear...

Post by Marty »

What are you cleaning it with?
smallbitz

Post by smallbitz »

A little dawn and water. Rinse well. Then a good wipe with alcohol right before it goes into kiln. Same as I have always done.
Michele gh

Post by Michele gh »

In my experience, Tekta Crystal Clear occasionally fogs up on firing. I don't know why, and it seems to happen intermittently, in about one in six firings. I sent samples to Bullseye, and it was never resolved. I have been using Uroboros' 90COE Clear Machine Rolled, and the results have been consistently clear.
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Tekta HATES Thinfire! Even TF residue in your kiln is enough to fog Tekta.

My best solution has been to eliminate TF, clean the Tekta with a brand-new clean towel (washed without fabric softener, of course), and the buff dry with a paper towel.

It's a pain in the ass and originally I was mad that I'd purchased an entire case of Tekta after I'd used up my case of Uro Machine Rolled. But in side-by-side tests, I've learned that the textured side of Tekta gives consistently smoother results in clear-capped pieces. That was surprising to me, since the Uro is so smooth, but the texture of Tekta allows air to escape.
smallbitz

Post by smallbitz »

Thanks, Valerie. So do you think hoovering my kiln really well is enough to get out the thinfire residue? I've been trying to switch over to just BE kiln wash, but thinfire is SUCH a timesaver! I have NOT used any TF with the Tekta, so I suppose I must have some residue, or perhaps not cleaned the glass as well as I thought I did. I have quite a lot of the Tekta, and sure want to use it!

Curious; what do you use to clean your glass with?
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

smallbitz wrote:Thanks, Valerie. So do you think hoovering my kiln really well is enough to get out the thinfire residue? I've been trying to switch over to just BE kiln wash, but thinfire is SUCH a timesaver! I have NOT used any TF with the Tekta, so I suppose I must have some residue, or perhaps not cleaned the glass as well as I thought I did. I have quite a lot of the Tekta, and sure want to use it!

Curious; what do you use to clean your glass with?
When I started having trouble with the Tekta (as soon as I started using it!) Bullseye sent me their Spartan cleaner, which I use once in awhile. But my regular go-to cleaner is Sprayway glass cleaner, which I buy by the case from Ace Hardware. It's available at Target and even grocery stores now (they also make an amazing Stainless Steel cleaner!).

I would think a good vacuuming should take care of the TF residue; that's all I did. I still use TF now and then for some things, so I vacuum really well afterwards and will do a firing or two where I'm not using Tekta as my top layer.

My belief is that Thinfire is the biggest culprit, since I only had Tekta hazing sometimes, and I only use TF sometimes. The second thing is that I think it takes a lot more effort to properly clean Tekta; it's just a 'pickier' glass, in my opinion.
smallbitz

Post by smallbitz »

Many thanks for your quick and wonderful advice. I use the Sprayway for some stainless in my house! I'll try the one for glass and make sure that I vacuum out the kiln quite well. Really want to use that Tekta!!
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

My cleaning approach is to use Glass Plus from the grocery store. It is an alcohol based cleaner. I find that it evaporates a lot faster than the Spartan that you mix with distilled water. I prefer Bounty paper towels in 5.5" wide sheets. There are also Bounty Identical towels. The clue is that the embossing patterns are the same, just the wrapping is different.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
smallbitz

Post by smallbitz »

I already have Glass Plus, so I may give that a try first. I do have a question for both you, Bert, and Valerie; Is the glass cleaner the only cleaning that you do to your glass? As I read both of your posts, that is the impression that I get. Just want to make sure I don't wash it and then use the cleaner if it's not necessary. Again, thanks very much!
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

smallbitz wrote:I already have Glass Plus, so I may give that a try first. I do have a question for both you, Bert, and Valerie; Is the glass cleaner the only cleaning that you do to your glass? As I read both of your posts, that is the impression that I get. Just want to make sure I don't wash it and then use the cleaner if it's not necessary. Again, thanks very much!
My cleaning regime uses as little glass cleaner as I need. The real cleaning is done with a slightly damp towel, at the very end. I have learned how to see schmutz on the glass surface. Sometimes you miss stuff.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

The only thing I do is clean with Sprayway and then buff dry.
Judith Andre

Post by Judith Andre »

I have had trouble with "tire tracks" ( roller marks) with Tekta that don't show up until you fuse it over a dark color. I don't plan to buy it again after my supply is gone.
Judith
katesaunders

Post by katesaunders »

I sometimes get little (really little) pieces of what I think is rust in my Tekta, causes imperfections when it shows up. Probably from the rollers when it's made.
Havi

Post by Havi »

katesaunders wrote:I sometimes get little (really little) pieces of what I think is rust in my Tekta, causes imperfections when it shows up. Probably from the rollers when it's made.
As far as I can remember , this had already been mentioned here. But I do not remember what was said...
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com