dividing a kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Paul Schulz

dividing a kiln

Post by Paul Schulz »

hi all I have a quite deep kiln 380 x 380 x 420 mm kiln with 2 sets of elements on the sides . I'm thinking of dividing the kiln in to 2 parts top and bottom by putting in a shelf of microporous silica broad (it a kiln liner broad) i would use fire bricks to set the shelf on and make it as close as i can to the sides of the kiln. the idea being not to use the bottom elements ..any ideas as to weather this is worth doing , i realize the bottom would still heat up,,,but will i create more problems than it worth :-k has any one done this before who can tell me. many thanks
JestersBaubles

Re: dividing a kiln

Post by JestersBaubles »

I'm not certain I understand your goal. Are you trying to optimize space (i.e., fire more shelves of glass at once), or reduce the interior of your kiln, thinking that you are only heating the top?

Dana W.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

If you are going to do this, try making the lower elements not turn on. The easiest way to do this would be to disconnect a wire on one of the lower relays.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Paul Schulz

Post by Paul Schulz »

i guess i did't explain my self very well,,the idea is to just use the top half of the kiln,,,save on the power bill,,
Peter Angel

Post by Peter Angel »

Paul, one solution might be to get an electrician to install an external switch that turns on/off the bottom element(s) of your kiln.

However the cost of installing the switch might exceed the final electricity savings! (Aussie saying: The hound overtakes the rabbit!)
Peter Angel
http://peterangelart.blogspot.com/

A bigger kiln, A bigger kiln, my kingdom for a bigger kiln.
Stephen Richard

Post by Stephen Richard »

Paul,
Have you monitored the electricity use of the kiln at present? If you have no meter on your controller, you can estimate the power use by getting the Kwh rating of your kiln and multiplying that by the time it takes to get to top temperature with a 10 min soak at ca 400C/hr.
It may be that you are not using so much power that it is sensible to take the actions you are contemplating. Also remember that you still will be heating that empty space below the shelf, although not to the same temperature as the top.
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
Arnold Howard

Post by Arnold Howard »

Paul Schulz wrote:hi all I have a quite deep kiln 380 x 380 x 420 mm kiln with 2 sets of elements on the sides . I'm thinking of dividing the kiln in to 2 parts top and bottom by putting in a shelf of microporous silica broad (it a kiln liner broad) i would use fire bricks to set the shelf on and make it as close as i can to the sides of the kiln. the idea being not to use the bottom elements ..any ideas as to weather this is worth doing , i realize the bottom would still heat up,,,but will i create more problems than it worth :-k has any one done this before who can tell me. many thanks
The kiln may need the heat from the lower element to reach glass fusing temperatures. Without the lower element, it may not be able to get hot enough. Also, I don't think you would save much electricity by turning off the lower element.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard
Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA
ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com