Help with firing schedule, please...

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Franzeska

Help with firing schedule, please...

Post by Franzeska »

This cracked, half-inch piece (Spectrum 96) was fused, coldworked, firepolished, and slumped. It cracked into two pieces probably because I heated it too quickly during the slump. I want to re-fuse it, resulting in a thinner piece. I am more interested in a thinner result than I am in having the two pieces re-join.

I am using a 12 inch SS form – 1/8 fiber paper on the floor of the kiln and a strip lining the form. I brushed the top with Spray A Plus, just in case devit rears its head during the prolonged processing. I placed a couple of clear scraps over the chasm of the crack.

I would really appreciate help with the firing schedule. This is what I am thinking of doing – so please disabuse me if I am thinking wrong:

100 800 30
100 1225 60 Bubble squeeze and slump until flat
400 1500 30 Too hot? Not hot enough? Too long? Not long enough to flow? I plan to check after 15 minutes to see what’s happening.
9999 950 240 Too long? Not long enough?
150 800 30
100 100 0

Thank you so much.

Franzeska
Attachments
P1010058.JPG
Kevin Midgley

Re: Help with firing schedule, please...

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Graham Stone's firing Schedules for Glass.
Read a few times cover to cover and then ask the questions again.
Of course if you do that you'll understand your glass better and won't need to ask..... :lol:
I personally would not use your proposed schedule. Is that is a good enough hint to go and read the book?