E6000

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

mbmccann

E6000

Post by mbmccann »

I used E6000 on a piece and hung it before it was completely dry. Stupid I know, but it happens. The circle piece that was glued on instead of tack fused on, slid down until it stopped at a stringer. It hardened there, which I could live with, but a lot of the glue remained where the circle should have been.

I took a class with Tanya Viet and she said she always heats E6000 to get it to form a strong bond on her bails. That got me to thinking about heat as a way to remove the E6000.

Can I put it in the kiln to burn off the E6000? at what temp? or just heat enough to soften it again and and scrape it off? again what temp?

Does anyone know about this? thanking you in advance.
Eryc F.

Re: E6000

Post by Eryc F. »

I did just that - glued magnets to glass pieces that weren't supposed to have them. Threw them in the kiln at 500.

GAWD-awful smoke, not sure what temp as I turned it off.. The inside of the kiln turned black. The magnets came off the glass, the glass cleaned up just fine, the magnets were trash.

Fired the kiln back up, and all the black soot disappeared after a high temp cycle.

Use the lowest temp you think you can. Then INCH your way up until the glue softens and lets go.
mbmccann

Post by mbmccann »

thanks for the advice. I think i would have freaked to have gotten a black kiln.
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

mbmccann wrote:thanks for the advice. I think i would have freaked to have gotten a black kiln.
I just remove it with a razor blade. You could use a heat gun to warm it up then use the razor blade.
Tracy Fries

Post by Tracy Fries »

Had an E6000 removal situation just yesterday - a bit of acetone and a razor blade takes it right off.
mbmccann

Post by mbmccann »

did the acetone work with old completely dry and hard glue?
That is what mine is.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I believe I've heard the microwave recommended. Just enough to soften the glue.

DanaW.
Tracy Fries

Post by Tracy Fries »

mbmccann wrote:did the acetone work with old completely dry and hard glue?
That is what mine is.
Yes....the piece had been set up for quite some time. It was rather difficult to remove the glass from the hardware....but once apart the acetone/razor blade made short work of the residue.
mbmccann

Post by mbmccann »

Thanks Tracy. I had tried alcohol last year on something that did not work. But this piece is only the residue so I may have success with acetone.
Drewcilla

Post by Drewcilla »

Soak it in just under boiling water. It should come right off. Acetone should remove any remaining residue.
GlassCat

Post by GlassCat »

Heat gun, works like a charm.

Carol