Glass separation

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Mack Davis

Glass separation

Post by Mack Davis »

What causes glass separating and moving in the kiln. The pieces were fully fused
Brock

Re: Glass separation

Post by Brock »

From that description, thermal shock . . .
Judd

Post by Judd »

Well, sometimes two glasses find out they're no longer compatible. Glass grows old and changes, and suddenly they're no longer interested in the same thing. Some glass wants to be optometric glass, while the other wants to be decoration. It's especially difficult on the glass children.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Nevermind the family dynamics- what glass did you use and what did you do to it? (step away from the kiln and nobody gets hurt...)
Mack Davis

Post by Mack Davis »

The glass is 96 coe, there were two different firings. There were other pieces in both that fused correctly. Two were almost exactly the same, one piece was perfect, the other split and then moved.
Mack Davis

Post by Mack Davis »

Pictures
Attachments
Spoon Holder-err (188x250).jpg
Spoon Holder-err (188x250).jpg (105.29 KiB) Viewed 14067 times
Fire Plate-err (250x188).jpg
Fire Plate-err (250x188).jpg (117.21 KiB) Viewed 14067 times
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Thermal shock in at least one instance, probably both, i.e., the glass was either not well-annealed in the previous firing and/or the last firing ramped up too fast.

I suspect, since those are both tack-fuses, that you're not annealing long enough. Tack-fuses can require 2-4 times longer annealing cycles than a standard, full flat-fuse. And if you put an under-annealed piece back in the kiln, it frequently will thermal shock unless your upramp is very, very slow (and sometimes even that won't help). The shock can be violent enough to push the pieces apart.

Hard to tell what happened, though, without the schedule. What firing program were you using?
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Mack Davis

Post by Mack Davis »

for the green and black: 300 To 900 hold 15, 100 to 1200 H 40, Full to 1450 h 30, 1000 to 960 h60, 200 to 725 h 10, 400 to 100 h 0, original firing, the clear piece was originally fused with this
for the clear piece it was the same except high temp was 1475, there were other pieces in both firings that came out okay
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Well, it's not uncommon to have some of the work in the kiln do just fine and other pieces thermal-shock. It depends on the composition of the pieces, the colors you're using, the design, etc. And in some cases, the pieces that look fine could still be stressed but just not have cracked (yet).
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Judd

Post by Judd »

As a rule of thumb, I begin my anneal at 1000, hold for an hour and step down 50 degrees to 950, hold for an hour, step down 50 degrees - etc. till I hit 850 degrees. Then I cool 300 degrees per hour till I hit 300, then let the kiln naturally cool to room temp. I have a Skutt GM1414, and I pack that bad boy full.

In addition, are you sure all the glass was 96? I ask because I use to buy glass from a shop, and they would sell glass scrap containers that were full of Spectrum glass. I knew for a fact that the Spectrum glass in the container was not all 96, but that didn't stop them.
Jerrwel

Post by Jerrwel »

Judd wrote:Well, sometimes two glasses find out they're no longer compatible. Glass grows old and changes, and suddenly they're no longer interested in the same thing. Some glass wants to be optometric glass, while the other wants to be decoration. It's especially difficult on the glass children.
Huh? Is there a supporting source for this? How old is old? I'm getting old and changing too, but I'm not a stable chemical amalgam.
Jerry
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

I do not think COE changes with years.
I have suffered recently of temporary incompatibility.
The piece had a large base of Tekta. On top was fused a 4x7" oval of 1808 light sky blue tint.
The blue absorbed readily the low infrared around 450 C (=ca850 F) while Tekta lets it go trough. The have a compatible COE, rate of expansion but achieved a different level of expansion. BANG.

That is one reason to ramp up slowly so that the lazy Tekta does not lag after.

Disclaimer: This is only my educated guess.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Jerrwel wrote:
Judd wrote:Well, sometimes two glasses find out they're no longer compatible. Glass grows old and changes, and suddenly they're no longer interested in the same thing. Some glass wants to be optometric glass, while the other wants to be decoration. It's especially difficult on the glass children.
Huh? Is there a supporting source for this? How old is old? I'm getting old and changing too, but I'm not a stable chemical amalgam.
poetic license
Jerrwel

Post by Jerrwel »

poetic license[/quote]
The osteopath tells me than I'm suffering from atrophied funny bone.
Jerry
Stephen Richard

Post by Stephen Richard »

Satire. Right?
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/