Strip cutting and fusing technique help

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

GlenfordGlass

Strip cutting and fusing technique help

Post by GlenfordGlass »

I am new to the forum and excited about participating! I am trying to make a flag like piece with many stripes. What is the best method to ensure precise horizontal lines and vertical lines? I'm getting ok straight cuts but it seem I have issues with the stripes being in even on the ends. Also, do stripes fuse together successfully when in one layer? Thanks
The Hobbyist

Re: Strip cutting and fusing technique help

Post by The Hobbyist »

Welcome to WGBB. You'll find a wealth of information and ideas here. I'd suggest you start by reading through Brad's tutorials. Then make a few searches of the archives for more info on specific topics.

Regarding strip construction, there is no better tutorial than the one provided but Steve Immerman:

http://www.clearwaterglass.com/Tutorial ... ction.html

Jim
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
David Jenkins

Post by David Jenkins »

I think you need to browse the board here for discussions of single vs. two-layer construction. I would think the odds of using a single layer for side-by-side flag stripes would yield very unsatisfactory results, as it pertains to the stripe ends forming an edge that's even enough for you. (Regardless of how well-cut your stripes are.)

And, depending on the stripe width, even with two-layer layups, you may find the edge of your piece turns out bumpy or wavy Myself - I have given up trying to achieve total evenness of stripe lengths after fusing - just haven't been able to figure out a technique that guarantees to achieve that look I now just bite the bullet: I cut as well as I can, then fuse, and then hit the lap grinder to even up all lumpiness. Then I run it through a fire polish and the edges come out as nearly perfect as I can make 'em.

YMMV. And I'm sure others will jump in with more advice.
Last edited by David Jenkins on Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
Judd

Post by Judd »

Yeah, I agree with David. Don't lay a single layer of strips side by side.
Also, I'd suggest you give up perfect horizontal lines. A Zen wabi-sabi approach saves headaches.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

You can lay single strips on their "sides", dam then, and fuse. Of course, you guys know that, right? and I'm just misunderstanding :).

Dana W.
David Jenkins

Post by David Jenkins »

@Dana: What if GlenfordGlass wanted, say, 1/4" wide flag stripes? I had not thought of the very narrow stripes afforded by on-edge layup, however. I'm thinking, though, it would still be somewhat difficult to get a bunch of individual on-edge pieces to fuse such that the end result consisted of a perfectly straight edge. Have never tried that - does it work?
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

They fuse pretty darned straight :D . The only place where you may end up with some "waving" is on the edges, which, if the stripes run all the way to the edge you can plan ahead and coldwork them out if needed. Here is one of the strip bowls I did:

If the image doesn't post, try the link: https://www.etsy.com/listing/124620994/ ... glass-bowl?

There is a bubble, but I point that out in the description (wabi sabi, ya' know :mrgreen: ). Also, the stripes run to a border so you can see some waving.

Dana
David Jenkins

Post by David Jenkins »

@Dana: Very nice!

It was at the edges that I thought OP was concerned. I guess, if you're doing a flag, you want to make sure that the stripes are as straight as you can make 'em, AND that the edges all align. It's at the edges where I anticipate coldworking to be required to achieve true straightness. The easiest thing to do, though, is try to be as precise as possible in the cutting and then point out to the buyer that the final product is handmade.
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

JestersBaubles wrote:They fuse pretty darned straight :D . The only place where you may end up with some "waving" is on the edges, which, if the stripes run all the way to the edge you can plan ahead and coldwork them out if needed. Here is one of the strip bowls I did:

If the image doesn't post, try the link: https://www.etsy.com/listing/124620994/ ... glass-bowl?

There is a bubble, but I point that out in the description (wabi sabi, ya' know :mrgreen: ). Also, the stripes run to a border so you can see some waving.

Dana
Forgive me for asking, you did NOT use a base glass for this? Very nice
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

Oh, yes, there is base glass. The piece is fairly thick ~ 1/2 inch. Single layer clear circle the full diameter of the bowl. Next, a circle of white, smaller than the clear. Clear and blue strips are placed, on edge, on top of the white. Two layers of the yellow border (two layers so you don't see the relief scores on fhe border). There is at least another layer of clear in there... somewhere :). It's been about a yesr since I made it.

That being said, you could have done the same thing without the bottom layer of clear. I was going for the depth you get on the edges with the clear layers,
Dana