New Kiln Tests and Trials

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

aliceRI

New Kiln Tests and Trials

Post by aliceRI »

I just bought a new GF8CS kiln. It took awhile to get it and get it up and running and have a few questions for the exports. Firstly, I am looking into getting a hoist to help with lifting the lid. I reviewed the warm tips for a pulley system and that was helpful. I also looked into using a pulley and a winch. Any suggestions?
Secondly, I have been testing my firing schedules from my Jen Ken Square and see that it isn't firing as hot. I am running another test after adding 10 degrees and raising the shelf up 3" from the bottom. Any other suggestions on that one too?
Thanks in advance all!
Alice
Bert Weiss

Re: New Kiln Tests and Trials

Post by Bert Weiss »

Find out what the lid weighs. Then set up a line attached to the handle, then through a pulley mounted to the ceiling and another pulley nearer to the wall. Then get a bucket and fill it with just a bit less weight than the lid. You will be able to lift the lid effortlessly. It is a good idea to use sand as at least the last part of the weight, so you can micro-adjust the balance. You don't want it lifting without your help.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
aliceRI

Post by aliceRI »

Thanks Bert. I saw that on Warm tips and thought that as an option for the lid. I do have a cathedral-type ceiling and can find the beams easily.
Mark Wright

Post by Mark Wright »

I would like to rig up a pulley system to help open the lid of my Skutt GM 22 CS. My question is what is the best method of opening & closing the lid while standing back a foot or two? I don’t like standing next to the handles when opening. As you know it is very hot and hard to see unless you can back up a little. Also is there a list of safety rules somewhere? i.e. clothing, glasses, etc.
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

I stand off to the side when I lift mine while it is hot.
Jim

Mark Wright wrote:I would like to rig up a pulley system to help open the lid of my Skutt GM 22 CS. My question is what is the best method of opening & closing the lid while standing back a foot or two? I don’t like standing next to the handles when opening. As you know it is very hot and hard to see unless you can back up a little. Also is there a list of safety rules somewhere? i.e. clothing, glasses, etc.