Tighten saw blade

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

lmartine

Tighten saw blade

Post by lmartine »

Hi,

I just got a Dewalt D24000 wet tile saw. There is no information in the instruction manual on how much the blade should be tightened. I looked up the MK100 instruction manual, and it only said not to overtighten it otherwise it would be very difficult to remove it next time.

How much tightening is too much (or not enough)? Should I be able to turn the blade manually once I tighten it, and it will tighten some more upon use? Any useful tip?

Cheers!

Lucie
rosanna gusler

Re: Tighten saw blade

Post by rosanna gusler »

i would tighten fairly snug with a wrench. the important thing is to put neversieze tm or vaseline on the shaft and nut before assembling. it is the glass dust and possible corrosion that wiull lock things up if you do not lube. rosanna
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
dee

Post by dee »

i have an mk101 pro and use the provided wrench to hand tighten the nut when changing blades. you should be able to rotate the blade by hand afterward. if i have trouble getting the nut to loosen i use something to hit the wrench with a couple of times to start the nut loosening, like hitting the cap of a jar to loosen it...
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

one more tip re saw blade nut loosening. it can be awkward to keep the blade/shaft still when loosening the nut. . i will clamp a visegrip onto the blade. lay the visegrip on the tray and clamp it on the blade. AVOID THE DIAMOND PART WHEN POSITIONING THE VISEGRIP JAWS. this prevents the blade/shaft from turning. if you have a top mounted blade just position the visegrip where it will jam against something when the blade wants to turn. clear as mud? rosanna
Marty

Post by Marty »

...or don't tighten it so much that you need a vise grip. I hold the blade with one hand and tighten with a wrench. When I can't hold on any more, it's tight enough.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i do not overtighten but even with neverseize or vaseline it just seems to permanentize itsself. hmmm the fuel filter on my boat does this as well...i smell a conspiracy. rosanna