Gluing Transparent coloured glass to white board?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Richard Carder

Gluing Transparent coloured glass to white board?

Post by Richard Carder »

Hi
I want to glue a glass painting to a white base board without the glue showing underneath the transparent glass, any ideas?
Valerie Adams

Re: Gluing Transparent coloured glass to white board?

Post by Valerie Adams »

I incorporate small areas of opal glass in my design to hide glue. There are some transparent glues like Hxtal but I haven't used them. I use clear silicone which still shows, so I allow for it.
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Also pay attention to what's making the board white. If it's not an integral part of the board, i.e., if it's painted or has some other kind of coating on it to make it white, then you'll be gluing the work to the coating, not to the board itself. Make sure it's strong enough to support the piece.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Lynn Perry

Post by Lynn Perry »

Richard, "transparent" glues is a misnomer. Those glues are "clear", but unless you cover the entire backside of whatever you are glueing, you will still be able to see the spots of glue. I learned this while making clear earrings with embellishments attached with UV glue which was clear as water but still obvious.
Lynn Perry
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

If it would work for the piece, put it back in the kiln on a bed of white powder (08). Or fuse a sheet of white to the back. This is something I run into all the doggone time, and I wish you the best.
"Every artist was first an amateur."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson