kiln controller help, please

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

bob proulx

kiln controller help, please

Post by bob proulx »

My smaller kiln is an Olympic 146gfe with a rtc 1000 controller. This kiln has been a great little work horse for years and finally something failed this week. I fired to full fuse the day before and all was fine. The next time I fired it it started going to temp and when I later checked it it said power failure. I restarted the program over and it gave an err-1 error message. The power turns on to the controller and you can hear it click but no power is going to the ellements. I did a continuity test on the coils and they read as being fine. I am not very knowledgeable about this stuff so any help would be much appreciated.
Bob
Bert Weiss

Re: kiln controller help, please

Post by Bert Weiss »

Bob, you could have a relay stuck open. The elements would test continuous with this condition, and it would not work as reported. I don't use mechanical relays, but your report of a click does sound like it is moving. Look for discoloration around the connections including wires and relays. Is there more than one relay? That would result in one clicking while the other is stuck open.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

Hi Bert, I was hoping you where around. I see no discoloration, there are 2 relays. How would you determine which one of the relays is bad or do you just change them both out.
Bob
Jerrwel

Post by Jerrwel »

bob proulx wrote:My smaller kiln is an Olympic 146gfe with a rtc 1000 controller. This kiln has been a great little work horse for years and finally something failed this week. I fired to full fuse the day before and all was fine. The next time I fired it it started going to temp and when I later checked it it said power failure. I restarted the program over and it gave an err-1 error message. The power turns on to the controller and you can hear it click but no power is going to the ellements. I did a continuity test on the coils and they read as being fine. I am not very knowledgeable about this stuff so any help would be much appreciated.
Bob
Bob: I have an Olympic 'Traveler' which has been having a similar controller problem except I noticed that I got an 'error 3' before I got the 'error 1.' The ambient temperature is reflected on the controller; I understand that should give me some confidence that the thermocouple is OK. I have other kilns and have just been doing without this one until I can have someone take a look at it as I am electrically challenged. I did have construction going on in my shop, so I've wondered if maybe there is some dust or dirt causing the problem. Just like yours, my kiln was fine one day and stopping because of the 'error 1' the next day. I believe 'error 1' refers to the kiln not heating quickly enough (which implies the coils are heating but not enough to meet the program requirements on the way up as my kiln heats to about 300-F) and 'error 3' refers to the kiln cooling too quickly (which again implies the coils may be heating but not enough to meet the program requirements on the way down). Hope your post will provide good information for me too. Thanks!
Jerry
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

Hi Jerry, I hope we both work out our problems. I'm thinking Bert is right about one of the relays being stuck open. I too have more than one kiln but I use this one for smaller things and to anneal beads, I cant see using my bigger clam shell to anneal a few beads. My lid has not been working for a while so I may just give the whole thing a tune up with new elements and all. This kiln is still in great shape but it has been worked hard but well worth repairing.
Bob
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Bob, expose the relays so you can see what is happening. When the program starts, both elements should heat up. My guess is that only one will turn red. The other relay is the problem.

I would suggest changing both relays out. You were really lucky that it failed open. Usually they weld themselves shut and will not turn off.

If you can manage to get a manufacturer and part number, you can buy relays a lot cheaper than the kiln companies sell them for. Try newark.com if you know what you need.

Take a photo, don't change how the wires are connected, and you should be able to easily change them for new ones.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

Thanks Bert, I knew you would be a big help. I agree it could of been worse, I will change them both out.
Bob