Wet kiln - need advice

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

LDGlass

Wet kiln - need advice

Post by LDGlass »

Hello everyone... we had a water issue last week and my small Jen-Ken got wet. I didn't realize it until last night when I noticed that the inside shelf felt damp. I think water soaked through the firebrick (it was closed at the time of the leak). I turned it on and held my breath. The elements and the controller seem to be fine. A lot of steam was pouring out of it last night... I had it turned all the way up to HIGH for about a half an hour and the amount of steam coming out greatly decreased over that time. I think it's safe to use once it's dried. Anybody have an experience like this? Will it be okay? :cry:
Bert Weiss

Re: Wet kiln - need advice

Post by Bert Weiss »

The steam is hard on the steel structure, and maybe the elements. However once you have boiled it all out, it will be gone and you should be fine.

Electronics, of course, are a lot less forgiving than porous fire bricks.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
LDGlass

Re: Wet kiln - need advice

Post by LDGlass »

Thanks Bert. It seemed to be okay last night. We'll see how it goes. I've had that little kiln since 1997 and am quite fond of it. :)