Share your water drip techniques and methods

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

MarkNotMarc

Share your water drip techniques and methods

Post by MarkNotMarc »

I am starting to grind off the flashing from a kiln cast sculpture using a Foredom hand grinder with diamond burrs.
I want to keep the burr wet without working underwater and would like to hear what others have come up with for a water feed drip system.

I thought of using an IV bag, or even a 2 gallon water container with a spigot and hose. I would like to have control of the water flow so its more of a steady drip than a constant flow.

I am trying to do this indoors so a garden hose is probably too much water.

Anybody have simple solutions they would like to share?

Thanks,
Mark
tbach

Re: Share your water drip techniques and methods

Post by tbach »

I purchased a used Wet Belt Sander a couple of years ago, and it came with an ingenious drip container - it is simply a stock windshield washer container from auto supply - tubing was added at the bottom to direct the water to my Sander. There is a control valve on the top of my Sander, but I'm sure this kind of control is easy to obtain and could be connected somewhere in the water line itself . . . that might be better, since I have to remember to lower the container before disconnecting unless I want to get wet. The hanger was modified to hang from metal shelf near my Sander.

I am going to try to upload a picture so you can see the container.
Attachments
DripContainer.jpg
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Loc-lines, attached to a hose or household faucet. I have a stainless restaurant supply pan with rubber shelf liner on the bottom, and normally I just immerse the piece and go. If I want a water drip instead, I grab a locline, attach it to the side of the pan, hook a hose up to it, and turn the water on low. The locline's got a valve that lets me adjust the rate of flow, and I can adjust it so it's directly on the piece.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Mike Jordan

Post by Mike Jordan »

I use a wet sponge when I don't want to use a water feed, either I wet the one on my grinder or I hold a bigger wet sponge in my left hand with the glass I'm grinding and squeeze it a little bit to keep the water flowing and have a container of water next to me to re-soak it in. I wouldn't want to do this for hours of grinding but for a handful of things, it's quick and keeps everything good and wet.

I just got a Foredom a few weeks ago and it's pretty neat. I've not used on glass yet other than a test piece to see how it did. I plan on trying some etching with it and my wife plans on replacing the Dremel tool she uses to grind our dogs toenails down. Just using the hand wand will be a lot easier for her.

Mike
It's said that inside each of us is an artist trying to get out. Well mine got out... and I haven't seen him since.
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Aquarium air pump
Brass piece with holes on each side, with attachment for hose....hole on top
immerse in water to the top hole.
You have a spurting fountain.

This is what I use under each wheel of my grinder.
Works great
tgotch

Post by tgotch »

I use Loc-line as well (for my homemade flat lap). I really like it, since I can position it where I want, and it stays. I sometimes have to grind continuously for hours, so I needed an unlimited source of water.

I connected to my garden hose. I got a "Y" valve (Home Depot) for my hose, which has a shut off valve, and allows me to control the flow. From the "Y" connectors, I connected nylon adaptors & barb (Tractor Supply), which reduces down to my 1/4" hose. Ran the aquarium hose to my loc-line, and mounted to a piece of wood. Works great for me.
MarkNotMarc

Post by MarkNotMarc »

Thanks for all the suggestions!
RHunter

Post by RHunter »

Hi All,

This is the down and dirtiest method I know of......a #10 restaurant sized can, punch a hole to match whatever appropriate brass fitting you find at the Big Box , some tubing and away you go..... clothespin to retard drip or if you were ahead of the game , your fitting has a toggle on it.

To get it above your work and let gravity do it's thing....a two by four screwed into a scrap piece of plywood with a hook or a really big hose clamp to fasten it to the 2x4

Randy
peter cummings

Post by peter cummings »

I use plastic pipe and tap,aquarium supplies, from a small hanging bucket. Fencing wire bent and fixed to the bench,hose taped or wired on, bent to anywhere you want it to drip.
I prefer big pot plant saucers under. Plastic less likely to scratch. With a cloth or the great plastic webby shelf liners.
Peter.
Kim Manley

Post by Kim Manley »

Piece of fencing wire? Sounds like a very Australian solution....