Dyson shelves

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Marty

Dyson shelves

Post by Marty »

I bought a 30"x60" last fall, put in the kiln and left it there. If I had slumps, I put the molds on top. If I had other stuff to fuse already on smaller shelves, they went on top.
The shelf was leveled and supported and "broken in" per specs. No drastic ramps or crash cools, no crazy temps.
It cracked a few weeks ago. It's still level and I can push the 2 pieces back together with a minimal seam (and can probably sift some kw in the crack to fake a seamless surface, especially with fiberpaper on it).
I got it from Euclid in Toronto, they were prompt with a response. They did say that uneven masses on the board would lead to thermal stress and they recommended having anything on it well supported by kiln posts.
I didn't. I put a vermiculite shelf on top covering 2/3 of the area and some smaller stuff directly on the shelf on the other third.

Just a word of warning.
Jeanne

Re: Dyson shelves

Post by Jeanne »

Marty wrote: They did say that uneven masses on the board would lead to thermal stress and they recommended having anything on it well supported by kiln posts.
Was this mentioned in their specs?
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

I love my Dyson shelf.......7 years and counting.....
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
Marty

Post by Marty »

Jeanne wrote:
Marty wrote: They did say that uneven masses on the board would lead to thermal stress and they recommended having anything on it well supported by kiln posts.
Was this mentioned in their specs?
I don't remember- there were explicit instructions for first heat ups. That's the next conversation with Euclid.
twin vision glass

Post by twin vision glass »

I had purchased special Dyson Dams to go all the way under my Dyson Shelves and for my damming system when creating panels. But I have never put molds on top of them. I am so sad for Marty as I tooooo love my shelves. Mind you Raphael Schneps has my 48 inch one. AND I wish my kiln was big enough for it. I use it when I go on Residencies, and Raphael is so sweet and just drops off for me. He is so kind and generous. Les (mind you I guess I should mention this to him tooo so he does not put molds on my shelf. )
Give out Free Hugs!
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

I fully endorse your feelings about Raph. He is one of my favorite people :>)
Jim

twin vision glass wrote:I had purchased special Dyson Dams to go all the way under my Dyson Shelves and for my damming system when creating panels. But I have never put molds on top of them. I am so sad for Marty as I tooooo love my shelves. Mind you Raphael Schneps has my 48 inch one. AND I wish my kiln was big enough for it. I use it when I go on Residencies, and Raphael is so sweet and just drops off for me. He is so kind and generous. Les (mind you I guess I should mention this to him tooo so he does not put molds on my shelf. )