compressing glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Paul Schulz

compressing glass

Post by Paul Schulz »

hi guys i have a 12 mm x 22 cm round blank that i want to press between 2 shelf's the top one will have 3 shelf's to give weight on it , the idea is to defuse the colours and bring the 12 mm back to 6 mm but cant find a program that i think will work. i'm all so worried about the whole mass taking to long to bring down to a temp to anneal . should i take the temp up to a slumping temp or a fusing temp any suggestion would be great
many thanks paul :?
JestersBaubles

Re: compressing glass

Post by JestersBaubles »

You've got to bring the temp hot enough for the glass to "move" (i.e., fusing temps). Check out the tutorial on fusedglass.org:

http://www.fusedglass.org/learn/project_tutorials

Dana W.
Paul Schulz

Post by Paul Schulz »

thankyou Dana ,,,i have been looking for this site since i lost it some time ago,,,
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Interesting project you have going on. How much room have you allowed for disc to expand in circumference to get the 6mm thickness? Basic maths I know but it is the morning here. Just wondering if you have allowed big enough shelf, top and bottom and that the stops don't contact the disc. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Paul Schulz

Post by Paul Schulz »

hi there Haydo I think i have enough room, it should end up being 2 times the size it is now,, in which case i have plenty of room ..
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Just don't forget to apply kiln wash to the bottom surface of the shelf you put on top!
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Hey Paul, got an inquiring mind when something captures my interest. Was thinking about your thermal mass problem along with why you can't just make a retaining ring with a 31cm diameter retaining ring/dam and just cook until you get dam full, making sure that the shelf is very level. But if it is to see the result of what happens by pressing, I'd be inclined to use IFB's to give weight to the cause as these could be removed after pressing and the top shelf maybe could be propped away from the glass. The initial surfaces of glass touching the shelves may not shift much either, I'd guess that all the movement would be from within the two surfaces. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
GuyKass

Post by GuyKass »

Haydo-

You are right on the money. The insides squish out / move much faster and further than the top and bottom.

Here are a couple of photo that show it. 4 - 1/8" layers between two shelves.

Guy
Attachments
Smoosh2.jpg
Smoosh1.jpg
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

GuyKass wrote:Haydo-

You are right on the money. The insides squish out / move much faster and further than the top and bottom.

Here are a couple of photo that show it. 4 - 1/8" layers between two shelves.

Guy
Very cool, Guy. Is the "bird" screen printed?

Dana
GuyKass

Post by GuyKass »

Thanks. One of the zillions of things I start and never finish around here.

Actually it's etched/sandblasted/carved, whatever one would prefer to call it.

I vary the thickness of glass by varying the layers, etch through them and then (usually) fuse back onto clear to the desired thickness.

I'm dying to roll them up and make vessels. Just never enough time or money.

Sort of a poor man's Graal.

Guy