Fire polish strip construction

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

sheila

Fire polish strip construction

Post by sheila »

Just fired my first edge strip construction with great results, BUT…
I want to flip and refire to fire polish since I like the precise lines on the bottom side.
I know I'll need to dam again as it is 8 mm thick, and fire to 1400….
Question: will I lose the precision in the lines? Will they become more organic like the lines on the top side?
I'll have to rework the edges again after this 2nd firing and then will slump.
Thanks for your thoughts.
aktreehouse

The Hobbyist

Re: Fire polish strip construction

Post by The Hobbyist »

No, you should not lose the nice straight lines. However, you run the risk of getting devit because of the residue of kilnwash. When I do these I always lightly sandblast the surface and then give a coat of SuperSpray.

Jim
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
lmartine

Post by lmartine »

The Hobbyist wrote:When I do these I always lightly sandblast the surface and then give a coat of SuperSpray.

Jim
Jim,

I do not have access to sandblasting equipment. Would using the Wash-Away remover be as efficient in removing KW residues? Alternately, if the piece was initially full fused on Papyros or Thin Fire, would that also be a big issue when you fire polish it as if a KW shelf was used?

Lucie
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

I have no experience with either. Maybe they won't affect a refire. Same thing for the Wash-Away. I would try some test pieces before I gambled on a larger or more important project.

Jim
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
sheila

Post by sheila »

Thanks for your comment. I also don't have a sandblaster so used my diamond pad, 400 grit, and then sprayed with Super Spray. Pretty good success, but not the perfection to match my really cool, neat staight lines in the glass. I'm wondering if a more aggressive use of the pads might work and then repeating the firing. My temp was good as the 2 windows in the piece of 1.6 carnelian on 6 mm tekta came out nice and glossy.
Another option I'm contemplating…. what if I sprinkled clear power on top and refired? That's worked really well for devit on other projects.
I'd be delighted to get your input.
Thanks!