photographing wall pieces

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kate Saunders

photographing wall pieces

Post by Kate Saunders »

I usually make pieces that go in stands or are bowls, but I have a bunch of glasswork I'm going to photograph tomorrow that hang on walls in my brother-in-law's photography studio. They're fused glass glued to wood panels, without any of the wood panel showing--no borders. I've taken a few pictures of these pieces on walls, and I don't like the way they end up looking. One can't tell that they're actually attached to a wooden panel, that there's any distance between the glass and the wall. I was planning on shooting these pieces while they are lying flat on a table since I can't hang them from the paper draping I'll be using to take pictures of sculptural pieces. Hope that makes sense. The question is: how to best photograph wall pieces so they show that they're not right up against the wall. Do I take at a slight angle so some of the panel is showing? I suspect I'll have to photoshop shadows out of the pictures anyway I shoot them, eventually. Thanks! Kate
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: photographing wall pieces

Post by Brad Walker »

Kate Saunders

Re: photographing wall pieces

Post by Kate Saunders »

Brad,
Thanks for the photo. Good work Jody!
I tried to photograph a tad bit on the angle, like the photo, but then the image distorted too much. Tried a couple of different lenses, but didn't like the results. The images, for the most part, were photoresist which really need to be viewed head-on. But I did get some decent shots, it helped to have a professional set-up to work with. The photoresist photos are more for my records then anything else. For some reason I always get unnerved taking photos of my own work, especially sculptures, which are so difficult to get a good photo of. Thanks again for the photo! Kate