Buying first kiln...will specific project fit?

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Shelley Lewis

Buying first kiln...will specific project fit?

Post by Shelley Lewis »

Plan on making a project using 6x14 inch glass base which I will full fuse, then slump into mold which is 6x14.5 and 3 inches high. I'm considering 2 kilns: 1. Clamshell with 14x15 shelf, 6.5 deep. 2. Top load with 15.5 inch octagon shelf. Feel comfortable project will fit top load, but what about clamshell? Thanks for any advice to a newbie!
lorimendenhall

Re: Buying first kiln...will specific project fit?

Post by lorimendenhall »

your mold is 14.5 but the shelf is only 14? that sounds like it would be a super tight squeeze and not the best idea. but I don't truly know, just sounds like you're pushing it. I have the 19" clamshell with an 18" shelf and I love it.
Shelley Lewis

Post by Shelley Lewis »

Well, the shelf is 15 on one side (and possibly both sides, there may be a typo in description)
Jill Wilson

Post by Jill Wilson »

If you are using the kiln for more than jewelry, you will regret buying an octagonal shaped kiln. The actual shelf space for larger pieces of glass is much less. Brock told us that in my first class with him, but by then, I already had several octagonals. A 15 inch octagonal shelf can't typically hold more than a 10" by 14 " inch piece of glass. Go for the biggest square you can manage and you will get lots more use from it.
Shelley Lewis

Post by Shelley Lewis »

I agree about choosing the square kiln over octaganal. The square is my first choice, but I don't know if I can fuse 14 inches of glass on 15 inches of shelf? And can I put a 14.5 inch slumping mold on the 15 shelf?
Brock

Post by Brock »

Yes to both.
Shelley Lewis

Post by Shelley Lewis »

Great! Thanks to all for the help :)
Vonon

Post by Vonon »

Shelley, You'll want to put your mold on kiln posts when you get ready to slump. That keeps air that is being pushed out through the hole in the bottom of the mold from getting trapped between mold and shelf and causing problems. I remove the shelf and put mold on posts directly on the kiln floor. This also allows a little more room between glass and elements.
Vonon
Shelley Lewis

Post by Shelley Lewis »

Thanks,Vonan. Excellent tip for a newbie!