Sticky cabochons: shelf paper vs kiln wash again

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Buttercup

Re: Sticky cabochons: shelf paper vs kiln wash again

Post by Buttercup »

charlie wrote:
Morganica wrote:I do much the same thing with plaster of paris. I tend to use a broad spackling knife to flatten mine, but a rolling pin is a cool idea.
i use a wine bottle with the neck cut off. no handles on the ends to run into the kiln walls.
Charlie, doesn't the wine leak out? Jen
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

For some works where I have considered the back side critical, I have"casted"
the kiln wash.

I take a sheet of float glass, clean it and apply car wax which I polish carefully.
Then I cast a layer of gypsum. It will get an almost glossy surface. There gypsum plates i use for carving a pattern I want ti "print" on glass.

For minor works like cabochons, I also use a float glass as amould. I paint it with thick kilnwash, with a rolling pin press a 2-3 mm fiber paper into the wet kilnwash. Then i let it dry and peel the fiber paper carefully off. It leaves a nice
surface although it odten sticks into piece. Soaking overnight in a dilute phosphoric acid like Cocacola softens the contamination and it is easy to wash off.

-lauri
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Fascinating, Lauri. Although I must admit that the first thing I thought was, "And we DRINK Cocacola?"

;-)
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

Morganica wrote:"And we DRINK Cocacola?"
So do I, too.
And I even smoke tobacco.
There are plenty of dangerous stuff we consume, chili for example.
They kill slowly, but I am retired, no need to hurry.

Ps.
The decalcinating stuff used for kitchenware is much cheaper.
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Also white vinegar works just fine
Jim

Lauri Levanto wrote:For some works where I have considered the back side critical, I have"casted"
the kiln wash.

I take a sheet of float glass, clean it and apply car wax which I polish carefully.
Then I cast a layer of gypsum. It will get an almost glossy surface. There gypsum plates i use for carving a pattern I want ti "print" on glass.

For minor works like cabochons, I also use a float glass as amould. I paint it with thick kilnwash, with a rolling pin press a 2-3 mm fiber paper into the wet kilnwash. Then i let it dry and peel the fiber paper carefully off. It leaves a nice
surface although it odten sticks into piece. Soaking overnight in a dilute phosphoric acid like Cocacola softens the contamination and it is easy to wash off.

-lauri