Bridge saws

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Marty

Bridge saws

Post by Marty »

Anyone have any experience with 10" to 14" bridge (or rail) tile saws? The manual ones with 3' to 4' spans, not the gigantic ones used for stone.
charlie holden

Re: Bridge saws

Post by charlie holden »

I have an MK 212 with a 36 inch span and a 10 inch blade. It's great for long cuts on thin pieces, not so great for cutting odd angles and depths -- like cutting the neck off a curvy blown piece.

My only complaint is that when I bought it they advertised that it had a 3 inch deep cut, which is not true. There is 3 inches at the blade but less clearance than that under the motor -- more like 2 1/4 inches. And the amount you can raise the saw off the bed is very limited compared to some of the chop saw styles.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Thanks, Charlie. How much can you raise the blade off the bed?
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

They have two different ones on display at home depot here. You may be have similar there, you can inspect them much better than a pic online.

I've seen them for rent at the local tool rental place also, might be worth a rent. If you rent be careful about their blades as they'll hose you for any useage of the blade. I rented once and they tried to charge me than the price as a new blade and I only a few pieces.
Rick Wilton
dee

Post by dee »

Also check places that sell tile flooring, we have a place here, floor and decor, that has different brands of tile saws than what home depot has and i've been looking at one over there off and on...
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

i use an IMER. love some things about it, not thrilled about others - like blade depth.
"Every artist was first an amateur."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson