Sticking stacked glass.

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Mike Bathalter

Sticking stacked glass.

Post by Mike Bathalter »

I slump float glass over stainless steel molds. Hi-Temp 1800 works great on the mold. When I slump 2 pieces of glass stacked, I spray a light coat of Hi Temp 1800 on one of them but it leaves a haze that is difficult to remove. Any suggestions to keep the glass from sticking to each other ? Thanks Mike
JestersBaubles

Re: Sticking stacked glass.

Post by JestersBaubles »

Why would you stack two pieces of glass on top of each other, and not want them to fused together?

The boron nitride spray is for coating molds, not glass. I suppose you could use 1/8" fiber paper between the two pieces if you are really bent on fusing two at a time.

From my experience, Hi Temp 1800 is inferior to MR-97. Every time I've used the High Temp it has clouded my glass like you suggest. MR-97 does not do that (in my experience).

Dana W.
Mike Bathalter

Post by Mike Bathalter »

Thanks Dana, I stack the glass so it doubles the amount pieces made in each firing.

I have used Thin Fire paper but that gets expensive.

I am not familiar with MR- 97 but will give a try . Thanks again ! Mike
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Try sifting down a separator--dry kilnwash, plaster of paris, alumina, that sort of thing. If you coat it well (and evenly) you should get separation without the expense of BN.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

Morganica wrote:Try sifting down a separator--dry kilnwash, plaster of paris, alumina, that sort of thing. If you coat it well (and evenly) you should get separation without the expense of BN.
That is how windshields are made.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

you can also make a wash with pure alumina and a binder (cmc, elmers glue, sugar) for green strength and spray on a smooth coat. let dry and stack. r.
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher