MK -100 saw water source

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

S.TImmerman

MK -100 saw water source

Post by S.TImmerman »

2.5x5 inch slices
2.5x5 inch slices
image.jpg (54.91 KiB) Viewed 12994 times
I've been cutting a lot of pattern bars and started having a problem with the spray attachment getting plugged up. I ALWAYS use a large bucket to put the water pump with fresh water instead of recycling it. I unclogged it today and cut about 20 slices of a 5x2.5 pattern bar and it happened again. Do I really need to do hourly maintenance of this? Can I avoid this problem all together - what do you do? Here are 12 of the 40 that were cut before coldworking to make them fit.

I have a MK-100 with 10 inch blade

Thank you
charlie

Re: MK -100 saw water source

Post by charlie »

and what are the plugs consist of, and where is that coming from?
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

Hi Charlie! Nice to meet you "face to face" on linkin , bits of crushed glass for the most part. I'm just wondering if there is a better way to keep everything out. I keep those large paint buckets (5 gal?) full of water and have the pump in there. I was kinda wondering if people swapped out the pump with a better one. I know my golden retriever sheds like mad and his hair gets in the water too. I just thought keeping it in fresh water would be good enough, it's not. I could keep the port open and spray water in there periodically if that need be.

Thank you
charlie

Post by charlie »

i don't understand. if the pump is in fresh water all the time, where is the glass dust coming from? do you have the water draining from the hole in the tray back into the bucket, or where does it go? if it is getting into the pump bucket, you might try making a cascade bucket line, and put the pump in the last one.

you might try suspending the pump off the bottom, if the glass is accumulating and settling out.
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

I got tired on messing around with the pumps, I now use warm water straight from the tap. It is supplied through a 1/4" plastic tube used to bring water to fridges etc.

the warm water is nice if you live in a cold climate where the tap water can be VERY cold.
Rick Wilton
dee

Post by dee »

i went to a large pump from lowes used for outdoor fountains and do have to change it out after a couple of years depending on amount of use. with the pump in a bucket of clean water you shouldn't be getting clogs in the spray nozzles. is some of the spray from cutting going into the bucket? i feed water to the bucket by hose so there is a continual supply of fresh water in the bucket.

Dee
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

My saw is a different brand but also came with a pump system. Instead, I went to the hardware store with measurements and bought the fittings to attach a refrigerator water line like the post above. I can swap it to my WBS too. I take the saw outside and leave the drain plug out, so the water drains into a big bucket, which I empty into my garden.
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

I use a garden hose attached to loc-lines--the pump/spray thing never worked well for me. I tried getting a second pump (a small water fountain pump), still had trouble delivering enough water. The finer saw blades I like to use require a LOT of water to cut thinly...so I finally hooked up a fresh water supply instead.

Worked wonders--where I was getting a lot of chipout and breaking it now almost never happens. You can see my setup here:
Also the post: http://www.morganica.com/bloggery/2012/ ... lass-saws/

And yep, it's messy. I open the garage door and let the water flow down the driveway. I've learned to move the car first...unless I want a swarf-dotted bumper.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
S.TImmerman

Post by S.TImmerman »

Thank you all for the replies, nasty flu got me. Charlie I suspect much of it from our golden retriever who is constantly by my side AND that bucket. They shed like mad. Plus our 17 year old rescue Persian and very deaf, he'd sit in the tray for the saw if I let him. Two VERY hairy creatures who came before I started glasswork .

I really appreciate all of you! I have a bunch of those loc lines and if I set my saw beside my 24 lap it's a snap (literally ) to get to one side of the blade. I'll order that piece that combines two loc-lines.

Thanks!
Shereen
charlie

Post by charlie »

[quote="S.TImmerman"]Thank you all for the replies, nasty flu got me. Charlie I suspect much of it from our golden retriever who is constantly by my side AND that bucket. They shed like mad. Plus our 17 year old rescue Persian and very deaf, he'd sit in the tray for the saw if I let him. Two VERY hairy creatures who came before I started glasswork .

I really appreciate all of you! I have a bunch of those loc lines and if I set my saw beside my 24 lap it's a snap (literally ) to get to one side of the blade. I'll order that piece that combines two loc-lines.

Thanks!
Shereen[/quote]

anyone have a source for cheap loc-lines? most places that i've found are really proud of them.
Marty

Post by Marty »

You might get what you pay for in leaks and poor performance. I'd go to Mcmaster-Carr.